P.E. or PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The morning sucked, but the afternoon felt good. It's going to be close.

Just to stir the pot...

I read an interesting article about abbreviations, acronyms and initialisms (http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/abbreviations-acronyms-and-initialisms).

"Initialisms are made from the first letter (or letters) of a string of words, but can't be pronounced as words themselves. Examples include FBI, CIA, FYI (for your information), and PR (public relations).

Acronyms are made from the first letter (or letters) of a string of words but are pronounced as if they were words themselves. Examples include NASA, NIMBY (not in my backyard), and hazmat* (hazardous materials).

Abbreviations are any shortened form of a word."

"Finally, there's no strict rule about putting periods after each letter in an acronym or initialism. Some publications put periods after each letter, arguing that because each letter is essentially an abbreviation for a word, periods are necessary. Other publications don't put periods after each letter, arguing that the copy looks cleaner without them, and that because they are made up of all capital letters, the fact that they are abbreviations is implied."

My current company uses P.E., so that's what I'll be putting on my email signature and business cards, etc.

It's probably best to go with the flow on what the company generally uses.  I had a conversation with NCEES on this very early on.  Their response was that the use with periods is generally for the older crowd and that without is for the newer generations.  However, both forms were acceptable.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would make sense with the transition to digital from print. Periods, like serifs, look good in a physical medium, but tend to look cluttered or sloppy on a screen. 

See what I mean?

Back