Olympic Village "Uninhabitable" - or however you spell that

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's really a waste of money, they should just host the games in one place every year - or two for winter/summer..

Either that or only give it to places that have the infrastructure....

The velodrome (cycling) out at Stone Mountain got relocated to East Point I think (which by the way is in West Atlanta - to get there, you take North Avenue west and turn south on Northside Drive)  (no, seriously).

My frat house at Tech got renovated as well, although I was long gone by then.

The only really bad thing that got Atlanta a bad rap was the street-markets.  Made it look like a 3rd world country.  That and the Olympic Park bommmbing, which wasn't anyone's fault (well, it was at least one dudes fault). (or maybe lax security's fault).

But yeah, they make such a big deal out of it, and it is, but the IOC is a racket.

It's really a waste of money, they should just host the games in one place every year - or two for winter/summer..

Perhaps the common place should be Mount Olympus? Would be quite a project, but would probably look epic.

Mount_Olympus41.jpg

that's pretty cool!

I was intrigued by watching Ping Pong- although I think they call it "table tennis" but the drama and theatrics with the serving is a little too much IMO - did anyone else see that? weird?

Can you imagine telling people, my kid is in the Olympics!  Yeah he is a ping pong player :|

Yes, reykjavik for the winter and Athens for the summer.  done. 

Was anyone else here entertained by the finger-wagging, Rocky vs. Drago swim race?  Apparently the US swimmer gave the Russian lab-engineered-government-sponsored-steroid-user swimmer a "not in my house" gesture after a semifinal, and then proceeded to whoop her ass in the finals with nothing but pure red white and blue running through her veins.  

yes that was pretty interesting!

I still find some joy that the first US gold medal was in shooting :D

Also we kicked NZ ass in soccer I think?

Was anyone else here entertained by the finger-wagging, Rocky vs. Drago swim race?  Apparently the US swimmer gave the Russian lab-engineered-government-sponsored-steroid-user swimmer a "not in my house" gesture after a semifinal, and then proceeded to whoop her ass in the finals with nothing but pure red white and blue running through her veins.  
I didn't see it live but rather on the highlights and on the sports recap in the morning. #howtobeabadass

yes that was pretty interesting!

I still find some joy that the first US gold medal was in shooting :D

Also we kicked NZ ass in soccer I think?
Women's air rifle is the first event every Olympics.  The girl who won in 2012, Jamie Beyerle (now Jamie Corkish I think?), I grew up with shooting in the Northeast.  A truly one of a kind talent, freakish hand-eye coordination.  She won double gold in both air rifle and smallbore, and set records in both.  Totally badass.  What was great about this one is that the girl from WVU stepped up BIG TIME.  The Chinese girl who finished second was a runaway favorite, and perpetually cleaned everyone's clock in the world cup and international competitions.  

I don't follow it that close...

I have enjoyed some of it, mainly women's volleyball.

But is it me or why does swimming have to be 80% of the coverage?? 

The man made kayak course was kind of interesting..

Back