October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last time circumstances were similar to this administration, with the exam taking place relatively early in October and Thanksgiving being pushed to the last week in November was... you guessed it... October of '14. Now, that release was a crapstorm for other reasons, but part of what made it late was the timing that's very similar to this year's administration.
Quoting this from way earlier, seems like this prediction was accurate. Out of curiosity, what made the OCT 14 release such a crapstorm?

Quoting this from way earlier, seems like this prediction was accurate. Out of curiosity, what made the OCT 14 release such a crapstorm?
@RBHeadge PE lived through it, so he could tell you more certainly, but the petroleum cut score meeting was particularly late that year. (This is fairly typical with the smaller, once-per-year exams. It generally takes them longer to get PEs and SMEs together to schedule the meeting.) That year, NCEES also took a little bit longer than usual to go through their QA processes and final approval, which resulted in the initial release being pushed back to day 52.

Most states released on days 52-54, which sucked, but was a breeze compared to some states. I think North Dakota sent out letters that arrived on Christmas Eve, which was a welcome Christmas gift to those who passed... And probably steep ramp down into holiday alcoholism for those who didn't.

Bar-none, the worst was Pennsylvania. They used a third-party to approve and release results:  :pcs: . Sometime in early January (IIRC) the state started issuing license numbers to people who had actually failed the exam, which were taken down shortly thereafter. After a few weeks of confusion and finger pointing, they finally released on something like Day 88 of The Suck, in mid to late February, disturbingly close to the registration deadline for the April exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
@RBHeadge PE lived through it, so he could tell you more certainly, but the petroleum cut score meeting was particularly late that year. (This is fairly typical with the smaller, once-per-year exams. It generally takes them longer to get PEs and SMEs together to schedule the meeting.) That year, NCEES also took a little bit longer than usual to go through their QA processes and final approval, which resulted in the initial release being pushed back to day 52.

Most states released on days 52-54, which sucked, but was a breeze compared to some states. I think North Dakota sent out letters that arrived on Christmas Eve, which was a welcome Christmas gift to those who passed... And probably steep ramp down into holiday alcoholism for those who didn't.

Bar-none, the worst was Pennsylvania. They used a third-party to approve and release results:  :pcs: . Sometime in early January (IIRC) the state started issuing license numbers to people who had actually failed the exam, which were taken down shortly thereafter. After a few weeks of confusion and finger pointing, they finally released on something like Day 88 of The Suck, in mid to late February, disturbingly close to the registration deadline.
and i thought we had it bad

will we have our results by then?
I don't know. Probably. And I mean that in a strict statistical sense, insofar I think there is a 50%+ chance of a release before next Wednesday and a sub-50% chance after Tuesday. @Will.I.Am has the o/u at Tuesday, and I think that's appropriate.

I think that tomorrow is a viable day for release, but only because I don't have any information that says or implies that its not viable. The reader should not confuse this statement as me implying that there is a good chance of a release tomorrow. 

I'll say this much: I will have the map, map thread, and other threads pre-written and ready to post at a moments notice starting tomorrow morning. I did this the last few administrations on the morning of days that I thought could release at any time. I have not done this so far for Oct 2019.

tenor.gif

Mrs Headge and I are going to Galaxy's Edge in Florida next Wednesday.
Woohoo. We went to Disney World a lot when we lived in Alabama but this is our first trip to Disneyland. Moved to Washington 4 years ago and have been wanting to go ever since. Might have to upgrade our tickets to annual passes just to go back after Rise of the Resistance (second new Star Wars ride) opens in California January 5. 

Back