October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mainly wanted a farm to sell food locally, and as a by product have food for the family. A lot of restaurants in town buy all their food locally and are proud of that. But, if the market is too saturated here, I'd have to sell elsewhere. I grew up with my family raising chickens and goats. Right now I think my parents have about ~100 free range chickens and ~15 goats. The goats are raised mainly for milk, but are also sold, and every once in a while slaughtered for meat. We also grew corn, watermelons, peas, beans, bell peppers, and jalapenos.

My wife and I used to own 5 acres down in Florida we were going to build on, but the deed restrictions didn't allow equine, bovine, or swine so it wasn't really ideal for homesteading/farming. Ended up selling it. I'm shopping around for 10 acres now just to start something small, maybe raise some cattle for the local market. I'd be fine if I could just break even on the cattle too, just as long as I got me fresh, grass-fed meat for the year.

I've been gardening on the small lots (0.3-0.5 acre) we've lived on. Usually the normal stuff like lettuce, peas, beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, etc. I grew a ton of birds eye chili peppers this past season by accident, so I've been making hot sauce as Christmas gifts. Next season I plan on growing Carolina Reapers and Ghost Peppers.

I have the knowledge and abilities to be a farmer, just not the time and money. So I have 0 of the 2 needed things.
I garden on our 0.4 acre lot as well. I really enjoy it, but am always looking to build more raised beds. I think I would like to have about 5-10 acres for a retirement gig to sell locally at a farmers market and enjoy what I am doing, but benefit other people as well. 

Worlds worst cup of coffee
82b4cdad3a86f52943fd7dd8ef53134a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back