October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody on here do project management?  I'm a relatively new PM and it has been a learning curve. Do you ever move past the "I'm a total dumbass" phase?
*raises hand*

My role is 100% PM now which has been a learning experience (coming from 100% design engineering). Almost doesn't matter what you do, everyone will think you're a dumbass. Boo!

Anybody on here do project management?  I'm a relatively new PM and it has been a learning curve. Do you ever move past the "I'm a total dumbass" phase?
Yes, I've been a PM. I'm more of a program executive now. 

And yes... just takes time and experience. Make sure you have good templates and resources to help keep you organized. Always think three steps ahead. Strategy is key...and communication. You can make it through anything, good or bad, as long as you speak to people with respect, and as long as you are honest. The earlier you deal with any issue, the better. As a PM, you are the leader, but always remember that you need your team. I've always tried to make people feel valued for what they bring to the table...and I tend to get a better work product out of them because of this.

When it comes to the nuts and bolts, you learn the technical pitfalls with every project as time goes on.

Last edited by a moderator:
link me. maybe I can gather some info to help me explain this to her. 

She's in love with this book called Noodlehead Nightmares. The noodles, Mac and Mac, talk about how they are "kinda scared". That word trips her up every time.
I don't have a link per se, or at least not to one that isn't written at a college level.

Just explain that there are different grammatical rules based on where the location, audience, and format. You can explain location in the context of America, Britain, Australia, etc. It's all "English" but with slightly different words and pronunciations.

English doesn't officially have formal and informal tense. Most other major language do however have formal/informal tense. Instead that gets conveyed through different speaking styles. She wouldn't talk to you or an authority figure the same way she would talk with a friend on the playground. The former is more detailed, slower, flatter annunciation, and built for literal clarity. The latter is based on brevity, nonverbal signals, a lot is communicated through annunciation, and it's built for faster communication.

Books, movies, tv shows, etc have to communicate differently to the audience. Some formats work better for convery information and details than others. I'm sure you can come up with your own examples. Books, often need to convey an informal conversation, and will use informal langue and accent pronunciations bewtween the quotes (often with incorrect spelling), to convey the context and environment surrounding the conversation. It may not be grammatically correct for a written format, but it is necessary to describe to the reader what is happening without distracting the reader with extra text.

I don't have a link per se, or at least not to one that isn't written at a college level.

Just explain that there are different grammatical rules based on where the location, audience, and format. You can explain location in the context of America, Britain, Australia, etc. It's all "English" but with slightly different words and pronunciations.

English doesn't officially have formal and informal tense. Most other major language do however have formal/informal tense. Instead that gets conveyed through different speaking styles. She wouldn't talk to you or an authority figure the same way she would talk with a friend on the playground. The former is more detailed, slower, flatter annunciation, and built for literal clarity. The latter is based on brevity, nonverbal signals, a lot is communicated through annunciation, and it's built for faster communication.

Books, movies, tv shows, etc have to communicate differently to the audience. Some formats work better for convery information and details than others. I'm sure you can come up with your own examples. Books, often need to convey an informal conversation, and will use informal langue and accent pronunciations bewtween the quotes (often with incorrect spelling), to convey the context and environment surrounding the conversation. It may not be grammatically correct for a written format, but it is necessary to describe to the reader what is happening without distracting the reader with extra text.
do you listen to any podcasts? I listen to "A Way with Words" and it's so much fun learning about the origination of words, and regional language variations, and where metaphors come from.

do you listen to any podcasts? I listen to "A Way with Words" and it's so much fun learning about the origination of words, and regional language variations, and where metaphors come from.
For ethnoligusitics? I occasionally listen to The Vocal Fries. I'll may try A Way with Words, especially since my usual commute podcasts are Philadelphia Eagles related and that's going to coming to an end soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back