October 2018 Exam Study Progress

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@In/PE/Out just curious, are you in down state illinois, or chicago area. While studying, I have been wishing I had someone to study with. Too late now. But if you say down state, Ill be bummed out that I did not realize this earlier.

@In/PE/Out just curious, are you in down state illinois, or chicago area. While studying, I have been wishing I had someone to study with. Too late now. But if you say down state, Ill be bummed out that I did not realize this earlier.
@kncumber Downstate (central, to be more specific). I’ll be at the Peoria exam site. I’ll really pound my head on my desk if it turns out we work in the same building, or at the very least, same regional area. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats everyone's thoughts on Environmental Engineering Practice PE Exams by Wane Schneiter? I have a love/hate relationship with it.
this is delayed but I like it a lot and feel like it best represents the actual exam questions in terms of length/difficulty. 

@kncumber Downstate (central, to be more specific). I’ll be at the Peoria exam site. I’ll really pound my head on my desk if it turns out we work in the same building, or at the very least, same regional area. 
I live and work in Peoria. That's a bummer that I just found this out, I would have definitely tried to meet up to study if I knew sooner.

I live and work in Peoria. That's a bummer that I just found this out, I would have definitely tried to meet up to study if I knew sooner.
I assume you’re taking the exam next Friday, then? A meetup before the exam wouldn’t be out of the question since I’m taking off work the day before the exam, since I have to drive up to Peoria. Send me a PM if you’re interested. 

Suddenly hit me that I'm off-schedule studying and I need to get back on track.  Of course the week I am taking off before the exam is when all my submittals are due to the regulators...*sigh*.  I'm getting really nervous that I'll get distracted by work, and stop studying?  My plan is to finish all my tabbing/SoPE questions tonight (no excuses!); I have a family party on Saturday, so I can't do anything, but then Sunday I'll start diving into my practice exams!  I think Sun-Tuesday I'll just be doing "exam" questions, which should get me into a better mindset that the SoPE questions (which are longer and involve more of a 'learning to manipulate equations' than the 'plug-n-chug once you know what you're looking for' that I feel the PE exam questions are more like).  Wednesday will be driving to upstate NY/relaxing/studying.  Thursday...even though everyone says not to study, I know, personally, that I need to keep my mind engaged on doing questions or I will get out of 'exam mode'.  Then Friday I'll drive to the New York State Fair to take my exam!

At least I get to go to the Corning Museum of Glass after the exam, which is just the pick-me-up I'll probably need.  Followed by polo!

Suddenly hit me that I'm off-schedule studying and I need to get back on track.  Of course the week I am taking off before the exam is when all my submittals are due to the regulators...*sigh*.  I'm getting really nervous that I'll get distracted by work, and stop studying?  My plan is to finish all my tabbing/SoPE questions tonight (no excuses!); I have a family party on Saturday, so I can't do anything, but then Sunday I'll start diving into my practice exams!  I think Sun-Tuesday I'll just be doing "exam" questions, which should get me into a better mindset that the SoPE questions (which are longer and involve more of a 'learning to manipulate equations' than the 'plug-n-chug once you know what you're looking for' that I feel the PE exam questions are more like).  Wednesday will be driving to upstate NY/relaxing/studying.  Thursday...even though everyone says not to study, I know, personally, that I need to keep my mind engaged on doing questions or I will get out of 'exam mode'.  Then Friday I'll drive to the New York State Fair to take my exam!

At least I get to go to the Corning Museum of Glass after the exam, which is just the pick-me-up I'll probably need.  Followed by polo!
Are the school of PE questions harder, you think? I thought they are easier than the NCEES practice exam questions by miles, that is why I kinda stopped them. If that is true, then I feel confused. Iam doing the same thing. Trying to work all the questions in the world from now till  Thursday. Good luck JayKay

Are the school of PE questions harder, you think? I thought they are easier than the NCEES practice exam questions by miles, that is why I kinda stopped them. If that is true, then I feel confused. Iam doing the same thing. Trying to work all the questions in the world from now till  Thursday. Good luck JayKay

The SoPE problems are good to get an understanding of the topic, and some are similar to the exam. But I've found the NCEES/Schneiter practice exam problems are better representative questions.  

And @JayKay0914, you definitely know yourself the best, but I personally do not find any value studying the day before.  I've been really wiped this week from studying, so took it easy before diving back into a problem set last night...it was amazing how much more focus and clarity I had from taking a little break.  The exam is a marathon, and just like the actual race, you don't want to go on a five mile run the day before. My best advice would be to relax, because you're going to need all the mental energy for the exam!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the SoPE questions are harder, per se, they just are longer in nature?  Like, they have multiple steps/situations to help you understand why/what is going on in a problem and what may potentially be asked.  I took the PE exam twice before, for Civil/Construction, and the PE exam in general for me was more identifying what they are asking for (and UNITS) and completing one or two calculation (this was even in the depth sections with crane weights/loads).  The NCEES exam questions look very big/scary, but they can only ask so much for a timed examination, so often the solution is much simpler if you break it down.

I think our best bet is to just keep working on problems, but also being smart and noting what is being asked, and what could potentially be asked, more than just mindlessly struggling to answer NCEES-type questions.

And @JayKay0914, you definitely know yourself the best, but I personally do not find any value studying the day before.  I've been really wiped this week from studying, so took it easy before diving back into a problem set last night...it was amazing how much more focus and clarity I had from taking a little break.  The exam is a marathon, and just like the actual race, you don't want to go on a five mile run the day before. My best advice would be to relax, because you're going to need all the mental energy for the exam!
When I say "studying" the night before on Thursday, I really mean re-reviewing my completed NCEES exam and confirming that it really isn't that hard (AND THAT I CAN DO IT).  I actually get filled with nerves before an exam, not "oh I'm going to fail"-nerves, but more "I've got to do this!  I can do this!  Why can't I sit for the exam right now! I'm the best!"-nerves (I assume like an athlete before a game?), so studying/reviewing the night before helps calm me and remind me that the test is just another day and that I know this stuff.

Didn't help with me last exam, since the flu hit me halfway through, but it did mean that I got a 34 on the first half.  T_T

When I say "studying" the night before on Thursday, I really mean re-reviewing my completed NCEES exam and confirming that it really isn't that hard (AND THAT I CAN DO IT).  I actually get filled with nerves before an exam, not "oh I'm going to fail"-nerves, but more "I've got to do this!  I can do this!  Why can't I sit for the exam right now! I'm the best!"-nerves (I assume like an athlete before a game?), so studying/reviewing the night before helps calm me and remind me that the test is just another day and that I know this stuff.

Didn't help with me last exam, since the flu hit me halfway through, but it did mean that I got a 34 on the first half.  T_T
Ah ok. You've been through this before then.  You know you, best of luck and hoping that the cursed flu leaves you alone for this exam cycle! :)

The NCEES exam questions look very big/scary, but they can only ask so much for a timed examination, so often the solution is much simpler if you break it down.

I think our best bet is to just keep working on problems, but also being smart and noting what is being asked, and what could potentially be asked, more than just mindlessly struggling to answer NCEES-type questions.
^^ this. reiterating what you said, they can only ask so much for a timed exam. they are aware of our time constraints. every problem is doable in the time they give us. it's about staying calm, determining what they actually want, and, if necessary, going to the right page in our tabbed notes to help guide us through it. 

we are extremely fortunate that the exam is open note, and we have all the tools we need to help us solve anything!

*TB LETS GO gif*

Studied a total of 0 minutes today (football you guys ugh) and now on the way to meet an engineering friend for a drink. At least we’ll be talking about the exam?? Seriously contemplated bringing EERM to the bar for discussion purposes but realized I’d just spill a marg on it.

happy Sunday! We’re almost there! *TB let’s go gif*

Between family and non-PE responsibilities, I got zero done this weekend. Starting now. Maybe I can figure out how to solve a pump problem or a hardy cross problem before I got to bed.

I got some studying in, but it was a little challenging with my parents and brother visiting me this weekend.  Fortunately, my mom was very understanding that I had to ignore her for most of the day today, and brought me lots of awesome food so I wouldn't have to cook.  They're coming up again next weekend, so I'm looking forward to family time when I don't have to study.  My mom is bringing more homemade food Friday night, so I really look forward to eating my feelings after this exam.

I've hit the regret portion of the studying cycle - running out of time and feel like there's still so much more I could study.  I have nearly hit my personal goal for study hours, so I really hope it's enough to push me over the edge this time.  

Got almost nothing done this weekend due to a family party (celebrating a 65-year anniversary!) and catching a cold from someone at work, so my Saturday and Sunday were a mixture of tequila with uncles and gross Tylenol severe cold syrup. I did take off this whole week from work, luckily, so except for a small submittal that I can bang out today/tonight, the rest of my time can be picking through my notes. Today is when I finally start going through the practice exams and doing my final tabbing (aka; adding to the tabs I already have and noting what areas I’m still like “I have no idea where to start”). 

Getting worried, but there is nothing I can do but keep moving forward!!! Worse comes to worse, it’ll be CBT next time, so it’ll be quicker for my to retake when I don’t pass. 

It makes me feel better to hear that everyone else had family obligations this weekend too.  

I'm trying not to think of what I haven't studied, but what I HAVE.  Really hoping that this time is my chance.  If I fail, I'll have to wait another year to take the exam, and who knows if it will be as convenient by then to take this test as it is now.  

I’ve hit a similar point in my studying. I don’t know what to do next. I’ve looked over so many problems, I’m having a hard time keeping information straight. I completed the NCEES practice exam, the Schneiter practices exams, the Schneiter book of solved Enviro problems, and just about every other problem/calculation book I could get my hands on. I’ve went through all my collections of problems I’ve worked and tabbed then off.  /end rambling/

Also, I know this is a last-minute share, but this is something that was not adequately addressed by the EERM, and most other references that I’ve seen recommended on this forum. This 2-page document describes the procedure to estimate a vapor pressure using the Clapeyron and Antoine equations:

Estimation of Vapor Pressure Using Clapeyron and Antoine Equations (excerpt from “Pollution Prevention: A Self Instructional Problem Workbook” by Louis Theodore and Robert Allen, 1994).

studycat.JPG

You have all been blessed by the Study Cat! May everyone’s results be the same colour as the pencil in this picture, a big green PASS!

This ‘lil guy has been with me almost every night I studied, usually laying on top of my books. They’ve been blessed 😸

(I’ve been jokingly saying I would get him registered as a service animal so I can take him to the exam with me, but I’ve settled for taping a copy this picture to my exam authorisation. And if the proctors say I can’t take the picture in, at least I printed 5 extra copies of my authorisation, sans-picture)

HELP

scanning through cooper and alley end of chapter questions. anyone know how to do that radon problem at the end of chapter 21? it's 21-8 in the 4th edition. i saw a radon problem somewhere else in my review, made a mental note to figure it out later, and then forgot.. and now i just saw this problem and am getting a little stressed. 

thanks!

Latest posts

Back