October 2017 15K, or get Matt267 PE banned, SPAM thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Automatic Computer update is screwing up my computer.  AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.
I hate that.  And when my pc says I have to restart or it will automatically do it in 360 minutes, and you can't close the window.  GAH~
I had an update a couple of weeks ago that cradhed my computer.  I had to get the Mother Board replaced. AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH.
Technology fail....LOL   :facepalm:

Can be made into a manual operation. Also, an update isn't going to "crash a motherboard". Too many elements in play.

Can be made into a manual operation. Also, an update isn't going to "crash a motherboard". Too many elements in play.
Mine has something to do with how corporate IT has the updates run.  I don't get the little window often, but when I do , it is when I have a deadline and trying to push something out the door.

If you act quick enough, you can terminate update process as soon as it starts. Either from task manager or a command prompt (admin).

Catching up SPAM. Also our "Ring of Fire Chili Cook Off" was cancelled last Saturday due to rain. Super Disappointed!

All I know is that a had an update, Computer turned itself off during an update, computer would not reboot or reset after trying multiple methods, computer was under warranty, manufacturer sent over someone to look at it,  motherboard was replaced.

EDIT BOTTOM

Last edited by a moderator:
All I know is that a had an update, Computer turned itself off during an update, computer would not reboot or reset after trying multiple methods, computer was under warranty, manufacturer sent over someone to look at it,  motherboard was replaced.
That would be the lazy response from your IT group. I believe this is taught to them the first week of class. :thumbs:

EDIT: TOP :bananalama:

That would be the lazy response from your IT group. I believe this is taught to them the first week of class. :thumbs:
I made our it person change the permissions (apparently on all computers on the network bc you can't change it for just one? Which I don't necessarily believe) bc I was tired of having my computer restart without me there. I have a paranoia that I don't save enough and shit will be gone forever bc of some bullshit update I didn't need to function and could have waited til the am.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is slow-roasted, hickory smoked spam with a side of smooth Kentucky sipping Drain-O.

I made our it person change the permissions (apparently on all computers on the network bc you can't change it for just one? Which I don't necessarily believe) bc I was tired of having my computer restart without me there. I have a paranoia that I don't save enough and shit will be gone forever bc of some bullshit update I didn't need to function and could have waited til the am.

You live dangerously. I don't trust computer hardware/software enough in general for that kind of practice.

Also, individual permissions can be modified accordingly. It doesn't have to be a global user group change.

You live dangerously. I don't trust computer hardware/software enough in general for that kind of practice.
Also, individual permissions can be modified accordingly. It doesn't have to be a global user group change.
Yeah that's what I thought. But I'm not gonna challenge him about it. And yeah I prefer to choose to install/restart manually. Don't you be doing shit I don't know about okay

Reboot, Replace or Re-Image are the usual responses I get.  I try to diagnose it and fix it myself first (I am an engineer  :thumbs: ).

Indeed. Almost always Windows can at the very least be booted into Safe Mode and either an update rolled back (due to a driver conflict), or the operating log reviewed to see what critical errors are being reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back