October 2013 Test Takers & Which Afternoon?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd really like to know differences in 12th edition MERM vs 13th. I'm right smack in the middle of the machine design section right now.

Like This

"FatherTime

02 Sep 2013

Do you mean the fluid impedance and other odd fluids questions in Ch. 19? MERM12 doesn't have anything on the subject, but MERM13 does explain it in an improved chapter that also now covers the subject of pneumatic systems. In the 13th edition practice problems book, there are 22 chapter 19 problems, compared to only 3 problems in the 12th edition. So, it MERM13 wasn't just a facelift."

This is why I'm wondering what the differences are.

Like This

"FatherTime

02 Sep 2013

Do you mean the fluid impedance and other odd fluids questions in Ch. 19? MERM12 doesn't have anything on the subject, but MERM13 does explain it in an improved chapter that also now covers the subject of pneumatic systems. In the 13th edition practice problems book, there are 22 chapter 19 problems, compared to only 3 problems in the 12th edition. So, it MERM13 wasn't just a facelift."

This is why I'm wondering what the differences are.
Just sayin', I passed the exam with MERM 10 which is like ancient history. The MERM guy doesn't know what will be on the exam, and MERM 12 covers the bulk of the material. This one chapter you're referring to might make up 1 problem, might not show up at all. If you're concerned about it, you can find a secondary resource like a college text.
I'm mostly trying to say, worry more about solving lots of practice problems and less about which reference you use.

Smott,

I am going through the same thing with MD you were going through with TFS. The merm chapters on MD sections are done inline with it being sufficient for MD afternoon, but how much is too much for TFS and how much is "good enough". For TFS sections, there wont be any or only a couple of MD questions on the afternoon and I would rather focus on reviewing and getting my TFS in line for any "tough" ones. I am trying to get done with MD soon so I can revise the TFS stuff which is alot in MERM.

Can any TFS guys reply as to how intensively should you cover the MD section? some concepts are quite challenging and intense. would only getting the basic concepts master suffice?

Latest posts

Back