Oct 2015

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with both of you guys, the AM felt good but the PM not as great as I expected. I took the Mech systems & materials Depth. I'm so f'ing anxious about the results!!! At this point, I feel this 8-10 week wait is going to be more tedious than studying for the actual exam...
Whew glad it wasn't just me for the pm. I felt the pm was ok. I did think it was much harder than the practice tests. I also don't think I could have studied any differently or covered any more material than I did even in hindsight though. I also thought there was something not quite right with one question which I will email ncees about for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took PE structural portion and felt the exam was easier than the one in April but then again I had a lot more practice since failing back on April.

I took civil with transportation depth and thought the AM was a nightmare. PM was a little better but still at least as difficult as SMS. I should probably start studying for April.

I agree, the AM sucked. The water depth was good.

I agree with both of you guys, the AM felt good but the PM not as great as I expected. I took the Mech systems & materials Depth. I'm so f'ing anxious about the results!!! At this point, I feel this 8-10 week wait is going to be more tedious than studying for the actual exam...
Whew glad it wasn't just me for the pm. I felt the pm was ok. I did think it was much harder than the practice tests. I also don't think I could have studied any differently or covered any more material than I did even in hindsight though. I also thought there was something not quite right with one question which I will email ncees about for sure.
When I took it I thought the pm questions were much tougher. I found reviewing the pm material a couple weeks before the exam made the difference between passing and failing.

When I took it I thought the pm questions were much tougher. I found reviewing the pm material a couple weeks before the exam made the difference between passing and failing.
I took your advice... but I felt these were a bit specific in terms of topics and there were two clusters of 3 qs each that were really tough for me. The rest was ok but I definitely felt some took longer than 6 minutes and as a result I made a silly mistake of leaving 2 I marked as easy to the end and didn't have enough time to do those 2 properly. I had to take educated guesses on those which isn't the worst thing in the world but I didn't feel as good as I did leaving the am by any means. I suspect I should have left the ones marked as harder to the end in hindsight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the PM transportation section and I felt it was tougher than the AM. Hopefully I got a passing score. I feel like I did ok since I took the SOPE review class but a lot of the exam questions were quite different than the SOPE examples. At the end of both exams I counted up my ABCD bubbles and they came out close to being used equally. Hopefully I will not have to repeat the exam. It was a beast!

I took your advice... but I felt these were a bit specific in terms of topics and there were two clusters of 3 qs each that were really tough for me. The rest was ok but I definitely felt some took longer than 6 minutes and as a result I made a silly mistake of leaving 2 I marked as easy to the end and didn't have enough time to do those 2 properly. I had to take educated guesses on those which isn't the worst thing in the world but I didn't feel as good as I did leaving the am by any means. I suspect I should have left the ones marked as harder to the end in hindsight.
Yup that was a bad strategy. If you think you got almost all correct in the am you probably have a good shot at passing.

It's close for me to be honest... I feel good about the am and only unsure of 2 or 3. And ok on the pm but still it was hard. So we'll see! I would be feeling much better if I was 100% sure of the answers for 2 I knew how to solve at the beginning.

That's about how I felt and passed. I'd bet you did.

So... The lights went out in our afternoon session with about 20 min left. That was interesting. Came back on about 10 min later. Gave the people near wonders a bit of an advantage. They had enough light to actually do work through that period.

In terms of my prep, the thing I was really not prepared for was the mental grind under pressure. I didn't take any practice tests. I think that out me at a disadvantage. But not in the way I would expect. I felt okay in the morning but hit a major wall in the afternoon with an hour to go. Blood sugar levels were way down and that was a killer.

Sorry to hear about your afternoon experience JHW3, that sounds horrible! I know I was already pressed for time and anxious enough without having any major incidents like a power outage! I took two practice exams before the test, timed and at the right time of day, and still struggled through the afternoon. Honestly, after the morning session I didn't know how I was going to do that for another 4 hours...

Just out of curiousity, which morning/afternoon exam did you take?

Interesting reading varying opinions and would be curious to hear what study methods and/or resources people used. I didn't take any courses or really do any studying of concepts, I simply used PPI2Pass Exam Cafe to do practice problems and felt it adequately prepared me for the types of problems on the exam. However, I don't believe I put enough practice time in the afternoon depth for Civil - Water Resources. I felt the morning session was slightly easier than I anticipated and the afternoon was more difficult. I feel like I got 75%-80% of morning problems correct, but only 50%-55% of the afternoon problems which will put be very close to the cut score/percentage needed to pass.

I took the Civil/Water, the morning part killed me, and PM was fine.

Back