Oct 2015

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MD here. I covered everything I could, hoping it's enough to get me through. Going to take some of the good advice on this board to heart.... step 1 is highlight the ask in the question, then step 2 is write down the units next to the answer choices.... don't want to screw up on kw or hp or some other bonehead move like that.

Anyone know the cut score for real yet? I'm assuming 56 unless someone knows otherwise...

Anyone know the cut score for real yet? I'm assuming 56 unless someone knows otherwise...
http://ncees.org/exams/scoring/

Determining passing scores

When an exam is introduced or when its specifications change, a committee of subject-matter experts works with experienced psychometricians (testing experts with a background in statistics) to determine the level of performance that corresponds with minimal competence in that discipline. This becomes the passing score. NCEES does not publish passing scores because they change with each administration. NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way. First-time takers and repeat takers are graded to the same standard.

http://ncees.org/exams/scoring/

Determining passing scores

When an exam is introduced or when its specifications change, a committee of subject-matter experts works with experienced psychometricians (testing experts with a background in statistics) to determine the level of performance that corresponds with minimal competence in that discipline. This becomes the passing score. NCEES does not publish passing scores because they change with each administration. NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way. First-time takers and repeat takers are graded to the same standard.

MATT! GO STUDY!

Shirely this has come up before, but....

So i figure it's time to start packing for the exam. I know Lindeburg provided a list in the MERM of essentials for exam day, so I start to go down the list. A LENGTH OF ROPE??? Best I can figure is to finish yourself off after the exam. Anybody care to compute the diamter of nylon rope needed to suspend a 200 lbf load?

dilbert-office-noise.gif

So i figure it's time to start packing for the exam. I know Lindeburg provided a list in the MERM of essentials for exam day, so I start to go down the list. A LENGTH OF ROPE??? Best I can figure is to finish yourself off after the exam. Anybody care to compute the diamter of nylon rope needed to suspend a 200 lbf load?
5/8" will do, make sure the knot is right.

5/8" will do, make sure the knot is right.
Lifesafety rope will work. It's static rope so you don't have to be concerned leaving too much room below you. Good luck and happy hanging

Last edited by a moderator:
Mech - HVAC - First time taking it. I felt alright about the morning but the afternoon was rough.... What afternoon session did you take? How did you feel about it?

I hope all that studying I did over the last 6 months meant something and I don't have to go through that again. I do know now that if I hadn't studied I wouldn't have even had the possibility of passing...

I took the MD session. AM was good but i felt the same... pm was rough. Yup if I hadn't put in the effort I would have scored under 50 in the am and pm especially being out of a good study routine for over 10 years. Speed was critical and I think I gave away 2 points in the afternoon but to be honest I can barely remember the questions... only the difficult ones stick out in my mind right now. I will say I felt it harder than the sample exams and the sms. It was on par with the ppi sample exam for the pm session for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I totally agree as far as study material goes. Definitely harder than the sample exam I took, probably harder than sms, and definitely on par with ppi's sample exam except the subjects covered in depth were much different. I remember leaving the afternoon exam thinking, most of those questions were equivalent to the hardest questions I had practiced and the ones that weren't as hard I had to try to find something specific in the thousands of pages of reference material I brought! Thanks for listening to the rant, I've been thinking about it a lot over the last few days. Can't wait for the results...

Wow- maybe T&F was significantly easier? I used Lindeburg's accompany problems to the MERM for all of my depth study, took the 2011 NCEES T&S exam, the 2001 NCEES T&S exam, half the SMS exam, and 3/4 of Lindeburg's exam. Thought the exam was on par with NCEES material, and can't say I saw anything I was unfamilar with. Maybe I failed though? Won't know till December....

I agree with both of you guys, the AM felt good but the PM not as great as I expected. I took the Mech systems & materials Depth. I'm so f'ing anxious about the results!!! At this point, I feel this 8-10 week wait is going to be more tedious than studying for the actual exam...

I totally agree as far as study material goes. Definitely harder than the sample exam I took, probably harder than sms, and definitely on par with ppi's sample exam except the subjects covered in depth were much different. I remember leaving the afternoon exam thinking, most of those questions were equivalent to the hardest questions I had practiced and the ones that weren't as hard I had to try to find something specific in the thousands of pages of reference material I brought! Thanks for listening to the rant, I've been thinking about it a lot over the last few days. Can't wait for the results...
I felt the same.

Wow- maybe T&F was significantly easier? I used Lindeburg's accompany problems to the MERM for all of my depth study, took the 2011 NCEES T&S exam, the 2001 NCEES T&S exam, half the SMS exam, and 3/4 of Lindeburg's exam. Thought the exam was on par with NCEES material, and can't say I saw anything I was unfamilar with. Maybe I failed though? Won't know till December....
Might have been easier slick man. Or maybe you were more prepared then you gave yourself credit for. I'm just glad it's over!

Back