OCT 2012 Env Cut Score

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
68 seems awful high. i was hoping there would be more questions that can be 'thrown out'.

I didn't think the exam was particuraly easier this time compared to the Apr 2012 exam.

bryan- did you not take the exam? could you share your score with us also?

RE: Haroon

I'm in Poughkeepsie. Not all that far from the Mid-Hudson Bridge. I have some familiarity with the Pearl River area. My dad had a client there when I was a kid and occasionally if we were nearby he would stop and check in, leaving me in the cafeteria with a crisp $10 bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
68 seems awful high. i was hoping there would be more questions that can be 'thrown out'.

I didn't think the exam was particuraly easier this time compared to the Apr 2012 exam.
What do you mean by questions that should be thrown out? Too difficult, too ambiguous, odd subject matter, etc.? When I took my exam (April '06), there were a few questions involving things I had never seen before.

All of the above, really. Too ambiguous would be one for sure for a few questions. Odd subject matter as well especially for the Oct 2012 exam. I remember a few questions that I saw and went 'what the...'. I knew the answer for that one but that's only because of the work that I do (public sector). I used the term 'thrown out' very losely though. In fact, I don't even know if ANY questions gets thrown out for that matter. However, it seems from other threads that the 'scaled' score of 70 is usually something less than the raw score of 70/100. How does NCEES come up with that infamous cut score? Who knows... maybe they throw out some questions for the reasons you mentioned. Or maybe there is a completely different way to establish that score. Enviro PE exam is such a broad topic to study for as-is. At this point, I am just hoping that the cut score is (a lot) less than 68.

No. My actual score was a 69% needing 70% to pass. When I added up the number of questions that I answered correctly from my diagnostic, it came up to 58/100 answered right. So, 58/100 questions equals 69% as my final score.

"The purpose of this diagnostic report is to provide feedback about your exam results and help focus your preparation for retaking the exam. It is neither designed nor intended to be used in determining the passing score."

No. My actual score was a 69% needing 70% to pass. When I added up the number of questions that I answered correctly from my diagnostic, it came up to 58/100 answered right. So, 58/100 questions equals 69% as my final score.
awjeeznotthisshitagain.jpg

@VTEnviro - Exactly!!!!!! I felt that way about my having to do this test again and that the topic of the cut score comes up time and time again. ONE POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. You are lucky that I know your sense of humor and will not respond like a certain member in the California postings....... Only the cut score scaling fairies can answer that question :)

You do know the cut score is scaled, not a percentage.

And how does 58/100 = 69% anyway? I'm thinking math may be a topic you should study before the next exam.
By reading several posts it seems that 70% is certain states' (I believe Texas although maybe others as well) weighted passing grade.

Therefore if someone receives a weighted 69% they fail by 1% weighted score - or approximately 1-2 questions. So if someone receives a diagnostic report and calculate that they got 58 questions wrong then it is probable that the raw passing score (at least for the specific state) was around 59-60 questions.

Frankly I'm a bit shocked. I passed and did not think I got 60.questions right. I'm STILL not sure what that first question was asking. There were however some ridiculously easy questions where I had to actually check all four choices to make sure they weren't trick questions.

The Lagrega book saved my butt. My air pollution control engineering was also very helpful - 2 of the more challenging problems were similar to examples.

My books are still in the suitcase (LOL) and since I'm moving soon they will be staying there for a bit longer. Once I unpack ill write a post on what books I brought / used and general thoughts about the exam.

Best of luck to everyone still awaiting results.

Back