Oct 18 PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL. I promise you the results won't come before Nov 30.

You'll probably get it before Christmas (unless you're in Pennsylvania). Just in time to add to the celebration, or make things miserable.

First, you would benefit from reading the firs two posts of this thread:

Second, welcome to subphase D. If you want to go down that rabbit hole, you can visit every state board and look up their scheduled meetings to try to divine the release date. I wouldn't recommend it, since I'm not aware of any state that requires a full board meeting to actually authorize NCEES to email out the results. Nor will you won't find any mention of it in previous meeting minutes either. But feel free to check all 55 boards and their meeting minutes going back years if you don't believe me. Some states might require a board meeting to issue licenses to people who recently passed the PE, but that would happen AFTER NCEES (or other entity) sends them out.

For reference for others, only Texas provides a score to those who pass the test. All jurisdictions  give the raw score to those who fail.

There is no group curve. The overall performance of the greater group of examinees does not affect the cut score for a given session.  The cut score for a given session is set ahead* of time based on the questions asked. It is up to the examine to achieve that cut score.

*Except during the first new exam offering, where standards questions are developed, evaluated, and confirmed.
So us April-ineans set the test score for ya.

Sucka's!!!!

The cut score for a given session is set ahead* of time based on the questions asked. It is up to the examine to achieve that cut score.
I believe you. Then I wonder why it takes a month and half to grade a scantron...am i right, fellas

MYTH Exams administered in the fall are more difficult than those in the spring (or vice-versa).

TRUTH The scoring process negates any differences in difficulty. Examinees are graded against a standard of minimum competence. If the exam is more difficult, the required passing score is lowered. Conversely, if the exam is less difficult, the required passing score is raised. An examinee is neither penalized nor rewarded for the difficulty of the exam.

The grading process

All answer sheets for multiple-choice exams are machine graded; a percentage of answer sheets are also manually verified to ensure accuracy. The essays for the afternoon portion of the SE exam are scored by teams of subject-matter experts.

Read a step-by-step explanation of the scoring process in the Pencil-and-Paper Exams section of the NCEES Examinee Guide.

Determining passing scores

When an exam is introduced or when its specifications change, a committee of subject-matter experts works with experienced psychometricians (testing experts with a background in statistics) to determine the level of performance that corresponds with minimal competence in that discipline. This becomes the passing score. NCEES does not publish passing scores because they change with each administration. NCEES scores each exam with no predetermined percentage of examinees that should pass or fail. All exams are scored the same way. First-time takers and repeat takers are graded to the same standard.

Equating

For subsequent administrations of the exam, statistical equating is used to ensure that this level of performance is consistent across multiple administrations of that exam. Essentially, this means that while the numerical passing score may change with each administration, you are not disadvantaged when one administration of a particular exam is more difficult than another. This process accounts for the 8- to 10-week interval between an exam administration and the release of scores to member licensing boards.

Your exam results are determined by the number of items you answered correctly for the exam in its entirety. There are no minimum requirements for particular sections or topics within an exam. You are not penalized for incorrect answers. You may request that your exam answer sheet be manually verified. A fee is charged for this service.

What was the cut score for April or did I miss it in posts? So then based on them knowing the cut score already and what questions are complete throw outs...then it should be quicker results then?

Anyone else hear about the NCEES warehouse fire that burned up all the scan-trons and invalidated the last test?
Since a few days after the exam, I really haven't given the test a whole lot of thought.  I've gone back to review some things and work some problems I felt I was weak on, but that's it.  Aside from that I've been enjoying life.  We've taken our son to the museum, trick-or-treating, a couple of family events, and I've gotten in some Battlefield time on XBox.  A golfing buddy of mine found a few steals (putters to be exact) at an estate sale.  I met him at the course and "borrowed" one of his putters and proceeded to drain 5 birdie putts with it, 3 in a row at one point.  It was nice to discover I could still play after not touching a club for several months.  

However, all the fun I've been having does not compare to the entertainment I get out of these posts.  Keep it up!

It is very entertaining. Especially when people post the same worries from the previous test takers.

I definitely learned a lot about the process after taking the test on here...things I wouldn't have known otherwise.

I don't really use the term trolling so cant say I'm doing that...haha.

Just passing time and figuring out realistically how long it takes to get results is all. I have friends who have taken it several times and I have friends who have taken it only once. The times for getting results have differed significantly. But then again some of these folks have been engineers for 25+.

I have friends who have taken it several times and I have friends who have taken it only once. The times for getting results have differed significantly. But then again some of these folks have been engineers for 25+.
And hopefully they all didn't receive surveys from NCEES directly after taking their respective exam(s). :thumbs:

The pass rate for last April was 48% in Texas.

A repeat taker told me that the October exam was harder than the one he took in April.

Curious to see what the pass rate for this exam cycle is going to be in Texas.

I am a repeat taker.  I would say both exams were about the same in difficulty, but my knowledge and performance were (I think, hopefully) better.  I still walked out feeling beaten down and annoyed; but analytical questions that I mostly guessed on the first time, this time I was able to narrow down to 2 answers and other times select the right answer.

That statement alone is what NCEES is looking for in repeat takers; the amount of preparation and studying hopefully sent me over the line.

My first time taking it I finished the morning and afternoon an hour early; for different reasons.  But this time I had time to recheck my answers in the morning and I found (2) errors that I changed; in the afternoon I took the full time and with 30 secs left found an answer one one I spent nearly 30 mins on.  The first time there were a few of these and I guessed and said "I know i don't have the book or knowledge to solve this" and walked out.  This time I knew i had the knowledge and/or the book somewhere to make a very good guess.

I am a repeat taker.  I would say both exams were about the same in difficulty, but my knowledge and performance were (I think, hopefully) better.  I still walked out feeling beaten down and annoyed; but analytical questions that I mostly guessed on the first time, this time I was able to narrow down to 2 answers and other times select the right answer.

That statement alone is what NCEES is looking for in repeat takers; the amount of preparation and studying hopefully sent me over the line.

My first time taking it I finished the morning and afternoon an hour early; for different reasons.  But this time I had time to recheck my answers in the morning and I found (2) errors that I changed; in the afternoon I took the full time and with 30 secs left found an answer one one I spent nearly 30 mins on.  The first time there were a few of these and I guessed and said "I know i don't have the book or knowledge to solve this" and walked out.  This time I knew i had the knowledge and/or the book somewhere to make a very good guess.
If you don’t mind providing it, what was your given raw score in April?

So in the event i failed (99% sure) can we collaborate more for the April administration of the exam? I know the code pretty well and have some good references.

2 weeks down...potentially 8 more weeks to go until we know. That's amazing that someone can finish early...I did the multi pass approach and I still ran out of time. But I had already made as many good guesses that I could  by circling the answer in the booklet so I just had to fill in those guesses on the answer sheet. Then I used the last five minutes to try the problems I thought I could figure out somehow and hopefully it helped.

Latest posts

Back