Oct 18 PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you would have got 67. You jus because if 2-3 questions. I am very certain you would pass this tim.

And Congratulations everyone who survived 2 weeks. We have crossed 2/6th of the path towards the results. Almost there

2 weeks down...potentially 8 more weeks to go until we know. 
Potentially 10 in Pennsylvania.

I meant 67%
In all seriousness, the cut score was not 51 last session.

Trying calculate the cut score is pointless to begin with, but it can be damaging to long term morale to grossly underestimate the cut score. One shouldn't lull themselves into thinking they passed only because of an unrealistic cut score. It makes the emotional blow so much worse when the results do finally come out.

In all seriousness, the cut score was not 51 last session.

Trying calculate the cut score is pointless to begin with, but it can be damaging to long term morale to grossly underestimate the cut score. One shouldn't lull themselves into thinking they passed only because of an unrealistic cut score. It makes the emotional blow so much worse when the results do finally come out
Wait for one more month to know if I am speaking the truth. Well, if there are any Texas repeat takers who could prove my claim, please do speak out :p   There would be people who wrote in Texas this time too. But I do not want to be the on who proves it with diagnostics and percentage. I hope I get only a percentage :p  I will be really fine with 71% :p

Hey Guys how do you think y'all did today? 

I'm just here to vent a little. 

Was it just me or did any else feel completely unprepared for this exam?? 

I was averaging 80's-90's on all section reviews. I took the NCEES official exam and got an 83. I walked out today feeling completely blindsided. 

I feel confident in saying that I completely guessed on about 30% of the exam and was unsure about an additional 20%. A majority of the questions seemed completely out of left field compared too all the studying I did from Zach's PE Review, official ncees, complex, graffeo.  

Honestly I feel a bit disgruntled. I try to be self-aware and I feel that I have a solid grasp on the fundamentals, and excelled in university, but this test kicked my ass. I truly felt that I prepared as well as I could have. The practices test and programs felt worthless compared to this exam. Am I just being dramatic here? If anyone who took it this October can give me some perspective it would be much appreciated. 
Hello Travishans08;

I am October 2018 PE Mechanical exam taker in the field of Machine Design and materials in Kentucky. I felt the exact same way that you feel. I resigned from my company and studied for the exam for 6 months. I used over 30 books, including FE, PE, major textbooks, handbooks, unit conversion books, tonnes of tabs and office supplies etc. I used MERM for almost every question. I scored 80% in practice tests and review questions. I even timed myself in each subject area in order to achieve 6 minutes per question. However, the actual PE test was completely different. Of 80 questions, I am certain that I got 42 questions correctly (AM and PM combined), 20 and 22 in each section. I almost screamed at my proctor for giving me a test which is so difficult. I felt so disappointed of myself. Almost left the building! Let's exchange opinions on the exam.

By any chance, can the cut off for passing be 50 or less than 50? What do you guys think? I'm new to the forum
Invisible. I took PE Mechanical (Machine design) in October. I am confident that I correctly answered 50% of the questions. I read other people in EE field had the same problem. I would say 55% is cut score, but it is just a guess.

Invisible. I took PE Mechanical (Machine design) in October. I am confident that I correctly answered 50% of the questions. I read other people in EE field had the same problem. I would say 55% is cut score, but it is just a guess.
I did not mean 50% or 51%. I meant 51/80 which is around 64%. I am not trying to offend anyone. I am just giving an input from what I know. But we can always argue on that. I have seen a post in this forum where the guy said said he got 39/80 and 58%. He has even posted a screenshot of the same. See this link http://engineerboards.com/topic/28677-i-failed-the-power-pe-please-help/ 
But still, let me not speak about the cut score until the results come in. 

And yes, you're right. There was a guy, a few exam cycles ago, that passed the power pe without any education background. He studied a bit and passed the exam. I think his background was in civil.

It's well known that the power pe is the easiest.
that simply means he wasn't a dummy, genius.

let me guess, you had trouble on YOUR exam based on YOUR background?  (The genius comment was sarcasm. Had to mention that since i'm sure you wouldn't have caught that on your own 😂)

Last edited by a moderator:
This wait wouldn't be nearly as bad if I weren't beating myself up because I received the survey email.

Not knowing is one thing. Not knowing but having others indicate I've likely failed is worse.

is wait wouldn't be nearly as bad if I weren't beating myself up because I received the survey email.

Not knowing is one thing. Not knowing but having others indicate I've likely failed is worse.
I thought the sarcastic post about the survey email was pretty outdated and lame. But now I can see it actually worked out. Well this is world. People easily believe facts which are baseless. But when I say something factual, people say I m lying. Phew - The world of reality :-/

I do hope it was sarcastic. Maybe its a ruse the vets pull on the newbies. PE Exam hazing, if you will.

I worked hard for this - as we all did - and even a stupid joke was apparently enough to shake my confidence. 

Maybe I'll get the results, pass, and look stupid for worrying about this. I'm OK with that.

I worked hard for this - as we all did - and even a stupid joke was apparently enough to shake my confidence. 

Maybe I'll get the results, pass, and look stupid for worrying about this. I'm OK with that.
Welcome to Phase 4: Doubt.

All of this has happened before, and will happen again.

There's a few more weeks to go, try to relax. Blow off steam in the spam thread; or with another hobby if your choice.

Latest posts

Back