Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my bad, meant to say front box squats

(need new reading glasses apparently)

but maybe that could be a new movement?

I personally hate "apps".  I'd rather not worry about tracking every last thing I do.  I did that on my first get-ripped spree 12 years ago.  I went from 226 to 178 by swimming (first 20 lbf) and P90X (next 28 lbf).  Now that I have two kids, more responsibilities, and the want for "slower", I just make a plan and try to follow it (with the wife's help).  My plan is simple:

• Small breakfast (two fried eggs and coffee)
  • Low carb lunch (today is cabbage and beans, hard-boiled egg, and a cutie)
  • Simple snack (hard-boiled egg)
  • Dinner (usually what ends up being the leftovers-for-lunch the next day)
  • Run 3x - 5x per week between 2.5 and 4.5 miles
"Eat Less, Move More".  And I no longer graze for snacks or finish what my kids don't eat.

I'm rather surprised by my ability to run.  I highly suspect both my knees have torn meniscus, but I'm making it.  My knees are typically dang sore the morning after any run and they pop more often than before.  Any squats, lunge, or jump stuff is no bueno.  Should probably get it checked out, but I don't feel like destroying my HSA fund.  :dunno:
But where's all your food?

The main thing I like about ( that which I am not supposed to talk about) is doing the same workout, say a year later and seeing some results.

I thought I got my ass kicked this morning, but apparently we did this exact same workout nearly a year ago and I knocked 90 seconds off the time and used some heavier weights

(this involved wall balls and dead lifts)

foolintherain.png

If this house arrest would just end so I could stop eating...

On a positive note, after 14 days of food consciousness and running I've lost 12 lbm.  I've fasted the past two Sundays and it's really not as bad as I thought.  However, the following Monday's have sucked.  Yesterday I built a gate (done at noon) to keep the chickens in the back yard and after that I felt bad overall (not sick, just blah) and was on edge with noises.  Having two little boys includes lots of noises.  Was not a good person to be around yesterday.  :unsure:

Does it make you crazy hungry on Mondys or something else?

this 800 g challenge isnt so bad, I think the idea is to get full on fruits / veggies, but its not really that hard to get 800 grams..

800g.jpg

the lady who developed this is an RD out of Boulder, but also a "crossfitter" our gym hosted her a while back.. She is doing what I wish the wife would do on the side...

On a positive note, after 14 days of food consciousness and running I've lost 12 lbm.  I've fasted the past two Sundays and it's really not as bad as I thought.  However, the following Monday's have sucked.  Yesterday I built a gate (done at noon) to keep the chickens in the back yard and after that I felt bad overall (not sick, just blah) and was on edge with noises.  Having two little boys includes lots of noises.  Was not a good person to be around yesterday.  :unsure:
Congrats on the weight loss.

I do intermittent fasting almost every weekday nowadays; this basically means I don't eat anything between the hours of 8pm and 12pm next day. At first, I felt awful being hungry all the time, but you definitely get used to it after a week or two. I imagine the same with fasting a whole day.

Also, second the two boys and noise thing. :)

Does it make you crazy hungry on Mondys or something else?
My "Sunday fast" is from dinner on Saturday to dinner on Sunday (24'ish hours).  I get hungry on Sunday about mid-morning, but I just ignore it and tell myself "you're fasting and won't eat until dinner" and hunger pains eventually vanish.  I'm guessing the Monday blahs are just from my body reacting to no ready source of energy-in-the-tummy on Sunday.  I have a general feeling of light-headedness on Monday.

Before all this virus bs I was zeroing in on a good balanced exercise and eating plan. Although I think I was overtraining some.

I could see the top of my abs (a little) and aside from starving myself I was gonna try intermittent fasting as a way to shed those last 15 lbs...then I remind myself I am 46 and should just be happy I don’t have to do the rearrange my shirt when I go to sit down thing anymore...

Our gyms have been opened for reduced classes (4 max) for 3 weeks so I have been back for 2 weeks. Most classes are 2 people- have been to several where it’s just me - feels weird but also glad to be back. It’s weird how you tend to push yourself harder when someone else is around..

I’ve still done a couple at home workouts but I was getting so very sick of them.....

I think the most devastating part of COVID as it relates to my health is the lack of chicken thigh availability in the stores...

I was never able to do at home workouts during this covid thing...I just don't want to bother my landlords/neighbors below me.  Walking doesn't really get the heart pumping too crazy and I can't run (my ankles are fucked up and it hurts a shit ton), so...yeah.  I am excited to maybe go to a lifting gym after everything resumes.  I've never tried that before, so it might work really well for me?

Back