Nuclear Plant/Power Generation/Transmission Jobs

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miloshj

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've just joined this board, and thought I'd ask a question I've had for quite a while now.

I am a Canadian citizen, currently finishing my second last year of Electrical Engineering & Management at McMaster University (Canada). Given the state of the economy, I think it would be a good idea for me, as I near my graduation, to look for jobs in the US and Canada. I was wondering if anyone knew good sites for power engineering job hunting? Or a listing of major Nuclear Plants and other Power Generators and transmission companies that I can apply to individually through their sites.

It's a bit easier to find in Canada, since most Generation is provincial government owned, so every province more or less has 1 major provincially-owned company which owns most of the generating stations and transmission lines. That doesn't seem to be the case in the U.S., and I am finding it hard to locate any companies which actively hire electrical engineering new-graduates every year.

I have a 12 month and a 4 month co-op that I've done in transmission and power generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, I've just joined this board, and thought I'd ask a question I've had for quite a while now.
I am a Canadian citizen, currently finishing my second last year of Electrical Engineering & Management at McMaster University (Canada). Given the state of the economy, I think it would be a good idea for me, as I near my graduation, to look for jobs in the US and Canada. I was wondering if anyone knew good sites for power engineering job hunting? Or a listing of major Nuclear Plants and other Power Generators and transmission companies that I can apply to individually through their sites.

It's a bit easier to find in Canada, since most Generation is provincial government owned, so every province more or less has 1 major provincially-owned company which owns most of the generating stations and transmission lines. That doesn't seem to be the case in the U.S., and I am finding it hard to locate any companies which actively hire electrical engineering new-graduates every year.

I have a 12 month and a 4 month co-op that I've done in transmission and power generation.
Most generators are either owned by utilities or independent power producers.

Some biggies on the independent side are Duke, NRG, Dynegy, AES.

Utilities vary by state or region. Edison is big out here in Cal, as is Sempra and Pacific Gas and Electric.

Also a lot of big cities have their own departments of Water and Power.

You should be able to find a lot just through Google and Monster.

I know the local power company here in Louisville is owned by a German conglomerate called E.On. They might have some openings in the US.

I would also recommend Regional Transmission Organizations and Independent Transmission System Operators. These organizations do high level planning and coordination of the power grid. Midcontinent Independent System Operator is my employer and I am very happy it is challenging and well paying work. Other outfits are PJM, SPP, Peak Reliability, IESO, California ISO, ERCOT, and NYISO.

Back