Non-Theists More Intelligent than Theists?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. The only reason I singled out ptatohead is that he came in here telling people, namely me, that I was wrong about something related to religion or the lack thereof. Basically, he told me that agnosticism doesn't exist, and that I'm just an atheist in disguise. Like I said, I don't take offense to such things, but shit like that labels you a zealot in my book. Everybody else in this thread has seemed to be able to state their opinion, make their points, and respect other views, but I found ptato's posts to be disrespectful. I know he doesn't see it that way, and c'est la vie. I've stated my opinion on the subject and would be happy to continue any religious debates as they arise.

It's interesting to me why this is bothering you so much. I really don't see why. I think you are taking this way to seriously dude. And, you're incorrect in your claims too:

"he came in here telling people". Umm, no. My post #68 (which I think is the one that is bothering you so much) says "To me..." and "... in my opinion...". That's not 'telling' sir. And, if you were offended by the "Grow a pair...", I was joking, thus the " ;)" My post #70 says "I don't think..." and "...in my view...". I never "told" anyone.

"namely me". A little egocentric? ;p Don't forget mudpuppy too. Although he did not get as offended as you. ;)

"Basically, he told me that agnosticism doesn't exist". Wow. I didn't say that at all. I won't bother re-quoting myself, you can go back and look for yourself.

"and that I'm just an atheist in disguise". You can interpret it as you'd like. But all I did was post my opinion (like everyone else here, but apparently it's only my opinion that seems to bother you) that I think there are either believers and non-believers. This is my opinion. In my opinion, someone can't be a "sort-of" believer. Just like the old saying, you can't be sort of pregnant. You can call yourself anything you want, I really don't care. You took what I said way too seriously dude. Relax. ;)

"I found ptato's posts to be disrespectful". If you could please clearly identify which posts were disrespectful, I'd appreciate it. I never meant to be. :)
It's all well and good to state your opinion to continue a discussion, but it's generally not well received when you give your opinion repeatedly in response to statements made where your opinion wasn't asked for (see Post #68, #103) and especially after you were told flat-out that your opinion wasn't welcome (Post #74). People also generally don't like it when you pick apart their statements trying to find fault rather than addressing their argument as a whole, because it comes off as trying to prove them wrong rather than listening to them. I'm not saying you did anything wrong, just that you shouldn't be surprised by wilheldp's reaction. In my opinion.

I appreciate the support, YMZ, but the reason I am no longer engaging is that I have encountered his type in the past and know that its not worth the time.

I appreciate the support, YMZ, but the reason I am no longer engaging is that I have encountered his type in the past and know that its not worth the time.

You hung in a lot longer than me; I gave up when he said I had no balls because I'm agnostic. There's no point in discussing something with someone who doesn't bother to respect your beliefs.

That's the thing. I don't care if you are a fundamentalist Christian or a devoted Satanist. As long as you don't try to tell me what to believe, I have no problem with you. I'd love to talk to goodal about what makes him tick, but I have no desire to discuss this with ptato.

YMZ, they were threatening castration?!
Matthew 19:12. "For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it."

You hung in a lot longer than me; I gave up when he said I had no balls because I'm agnostic. There's no point in discussing something with someone who doesn't bother to respect your beliefs.
I already said I was joking about that. And I already apologized for offending anyone.

That's the thing. I don't care if you are a fundamentalist Christian or a devoted Satanist. As long as you don't try to tell me what to believe, I have no problem with you. I'd love to talk to goodal about what makes him tick, but I have no desire to discuss this with ptato.
You keep repeating yourself so I'll do the same: I never tried to tell you (or anyone) what to believe. I really don't understand why what I said upset you so much and continues to upset you. Hopefully we can get past this.

YMZ, they were threatening castration?!
Matthew 19:12. "For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it."

I already said I was joking about that. And I already apologized for offending anyone.

You keep repeating yourself so I'll do the same: I never tried to tell you (or anyone) what to believe. I really don't understand why what I said upset you so much and continues to upset you. Hopefully we can get past this.
lebowski-meme.jpg

Back