Non-Theists More Intelligent than Theists?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wonder if Jesus could hit a curve ball?
apparently the one in Houston can every once in a while... :)

b1d8e324f58c2c0c500f6a706700a30f.jpg

All interesting arguments to read but they will always end at an impasse. No one will ever prove or disprove the existence of a God through science

Thus why I'm agnostic. Does God exist? Maybe, maybe not; I have no way of knowing and thus it's irrelevant until provable evidence surfaces. That's my personal choice and everyone else is free to believe what they want, but I do think it's ridiculous to commit violence or wage wars over something that you can't even prove exists.

Thus why I'm agnostic. Does God exist? Maybe, maybe not; I have no way of knowing and thus it's irrelevant until provable evidence surfaces. That's my personal choice and everyone else is free to believe what they want, but I do think it's ridiculous to commit violence or wage wars over something that you can't even prove exists.

This. I have never self-identified as atheist.

This. I have never self-identified as atheist.

[SIZE=10.5pt]To me, agnostic is not an accurate position of belief. Agnostic means ‘no knowledge’, meaning if you are agnostic about something, you believe that it is unknowable. If you are agnostic about the existence of a supernatural higher power (ex. God), then you are saying that the existence, or non-existence of such a god is not knowable. Well, it isn’t knowable. No one can prove the existence or non-existence of god. So, in my opinion everyone – theist and non-theist alike, if they are being honest, should admit they are agnostic about God. Thus, everyone is agnostic. You are, then, either an agnostic theist (you believe on faith, not knowledge), or an agnostic non-theist/atheist (you don’t believe there is a god). Calling yourself an atheist doesn’t mean you are claiming that you know for certain there is no god, you are just saying that you don’t believe there is a god. Any rational atheist would change his/her mind in a second if presented proof that there is a god. So, in my opinion, there are only two options: agnostic believer, agnostic non-believer. But we are all agnostic (about god). What’s my point? Grow a pair and call yourself an atheist! ;) [/SIZE]

^Oh I completely disagree with you. Some (many?) atheists would be just as rabid about claiming a god doesn't exist even presented evidence that it did as many theists are in claiming god does exist given no proof. Whereas as an agnostic I really just don't care.

^Oh I completely disagree with you. Some (many?) atheists would be just as rabid about claiming a god doesn't exist even presented evidence that it did as many theists are in claiming god does exist given no proof. Whereas as an agnostic I really just don't care.

Well then, I disagree that you disagree! :p ;) I don't think there is any reason to believe a rational non-believer wouldn't change his/her mind if presented factual evidence of a god's existence. Regardless, it doesn't change anything I said about the definition of agnostic and that, in my view, there are only believers and non-believers. 'Really just don't care' is not the definition of agnostic. :p

Being an atheist doesn't imply being rational. I'm sure there are lots of atheists who are not rational.

Well then, I disagree that you disagree! :p ;) I don't think there is any reason to believe a rational non-believer wouldn't change his/her mind if presented factual evidence of a god's existence. Regardless, it doesn't change anything I said about the definition of agnostic and that, in my view, there are only believers and non-believers. 'Really just don't care' is not the definition of agnostic. :p

I guess using the strictest definition, you are correct. But atheism has become a near religion. Theists will argue the existence of their god of choice based on belief-based "proof" or historical documents. Atheists try to argue that no god can exist based on scientific theory and disproof of previous religious beliefs. While neither side cannot conclusively prove their claims, they will try their damnedest and argue over it incessantly.

Agnostics don't believe in a god, don't believe the existence of a god is out of the realm of possibility, and don't give a shit what you think about it.

I guess using the strictest definition, you are correct. But atheism has become a near religion. Theists will argue the existence of their god of choice based on belief-based "proof" or historical documents. Atheists try to argue that no god can exist based on scientific theory and disproof of previous religious beliefs. While neither side cannot conclusively prove their claims, they will try their damnedest and argue over it incessantly.

Agnostics don't believe in a god, don't believe the existence of a god is out of the realm of possibility, and don't give a shit what you think about it.

Atheism is not a religion, it is the lack of one. It's not the belief or denial of deities, it is the lack of belief in deities. The example that American Atheists use is: If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color. lol

"Agnostics don't believe in a god, don't believe the existence of a god is out of the realm of possibility," = the definition of atheist. ;)

"and don't give a shit what you think about it" = not the definition of agnostic or atheist. But I still like it. :)

Some atheist have invented straw man deities to make fun of religious folks (see: Pastafarians). Large atheist groups (like American Atheists) try to evangelize the lack of god. Some atheists use the same tactics as religious people to get religious displays taken down from schools/government buildings. I know that atheism isn't a religion, I was just saying that people who self-identify as atheists ACT like they are a member of a religion whose deity is science.

"Agnostics don't believe in a god, don't believe the existence of a god is out of the realm of possibility," = the definition of atheist. ;)

I disagree that "don't believe the existence of a god is out of the realm of possibility" is included in the definition of atheist. You asserting this repeatedly doesn't make it true. If the existence of a god was proven, then the "rational atheist" would just become religious. The agnostic would just point to the atheist and say "told you it was possible."

Some atheist have invented straw man deities to make fun of religious folks (see: Pastafarians). Large atheist groups (like American Atheists) try to evangelize the lack of god. Some atheists use the same tactics as religious people to get religious displays taken down from schools/government buildings. I know that atheism isn't a religion, I was just saying that people who self-identify as atheists ACT like they are a member of a religion whose deity is science.

I disagree that "don't believe the existence of a god is out of the realm of possibility" is included in the definition of atheist. You asserting this repeatedly doesn't make it true. If the existence of a god was proven, then the "rational atheist" would just become religious. The agnostic would just point to the atheist and say "told you it was possible."

And you not believing me does not make it untrue. Here is the definition, as defined by American Athiests: Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

Perhaps, "Gee thanks for 52 years of torture being trapped in this body, including several years of abuse by my ex-wife?"

Back