Newb In the Environmental Field, Help!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcrisanto87

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I hope everyone is doing okay. I am just going straight to the point here. I received my undergraduate degree in marine biology (2010) and unfortunately, I was not authorized to work during the time due to immigration issues so I could not get any relevant professional work experience in the environmental field. I now have a valid work permit and I am currently in the process towards getting my permanent residency. Anyway, moving on, I am currently enrolled in a master of science environmental engineering program. I am two semesters in and I am anticipated to graduate in either spring 2014 or fall 2014(if i have more deficiency courses since my undergraduate degree wasnt in engineering). My biggest problem is I have no professional experience in the environmental field (I am already 26 years old, turned 26 in January). This is my program layout as you can see its centered to water. I want to eventually have a career as an engineer for a sanitation/water district hopefully applying what I am going to learn in these courses . What are the first steps I should take to reach my goal?(I have applied to technician positions and internships but never get replies) I have a list of things (shown below) that I am currently working on for my own benefit to make myself more marketable and please do feel free to add more stuff into this list. I really appreciate all the help because I really want a career in the environmental field but this issue in my life has caused me an enormous amount of stress and feeling of discouragement.

Semester 1

Fate and Transport of Chemicals in the Environment

Hydraulics and Hydrology for Environmental Engineers

Semester 2 (I am currently on this semester)

Solid Waste Management, System Design, and Sustainability

Environmental Engineering Practices and Project Management

Semester 3

Remediation of Contaminated Soil and Groundwater

Wastewater Treatment and Water Reclamation

Semester 4

Surface Water Pollution and Control

Water Supply, Treatment, and System Design

Semester 5

Air Pollution Control Engineering

Graduate Project

My list

• I just completed my HAZWOPER 40 hour General Site Worker Certification
  • I am currently learning specific environmental laws (NEPA,Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, RCRA, CERCLA,SARA,TSCA, EPCRA
  • I review my HAZWOPER materials so I dont forget what I learned
  • I am getting to know more about EPA Waste Codes and Land Disposal Restrictions
  • Learning the software AutoCAD,AutoCAD Civil 3D, Excel, Access

I forgot to mention I am also taking my FE/EIT Exam in October this year. I am already depressed being in my mid 20's and nearing 30 and having accomplished nothing towards what I want to do for a career.So please much feedback is appreciate. Thank you

Seems fine...are you applying nationwide? Use LinkedIn, research small local companies, network with your classmates, and get internships if at all possible through your MS. Take entry level and go go go!

Santo87--- SLOW DOWN-- don't panic! You are only 26, not 96-- you have plenty of time ahead of you. There is nothing that you can do other than get more stressed than you already are, which accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Now, let's approach this in a logical, stepwise fashion. Continue to take the remediation classes so that your undergraduate engineering courses are complete. You did not mention if your are concurrently taking the remediation classes with some graduate work. Your primarly goal now is to do well in the remediation classes as well as the graduate program which you are enrolled in.

Get involved with the student chapters of the professional associations associated with your discipline. Go to the meetings-- learn and meet some of the principals in the firms that are in your discipline. See if they have any internships or coop opportunities that you may apply for. If so, do apply and compete for a position. The coop position will take you another couple of semesters, however, you will have some experience under your belt when you are done.

I have another mentee who just graduated with an environmental degree, however not engineeering. He is in Portland, ORE and is struggling. There is work in the Oil Fields of North Dakota, however, you are 3 years out from there.

You will have to begin to acqure 4 years of practice experience AFTER you pass your FE examination. This may not happen until you are through with school. Don't try and pack all of this in one bag at one time. Your primary task right now is to complete the remediation classes you need for your engineering degree and then do well on your graduate studies.

I would suggest that you get out and get involved with your schools various clubs and activities. You did not say where you are in school, however, there are lots of opportunities for involvement. Why get involved? To make friends and gain new contacts. Learn some leadership and soft skill development.

You are doing fine-- don't stress out on the factors that you have no control over-- just get through school, do well. This too will work out just fine. Have faith and trust, it will work out fine.

Back