New York Experience Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.Splines

Reaction score
Hi all, I;m new to the boards, I appreciate your time.

i want to get my PE in New York, which is where I am from and plan on settling down.

I am currently working for the Air Force out in California, where I have a little over 2 years of Civil experience. Next year I will be moving to Canada (Prince Edward Island, to be specific), where I hope to work directly for, or with, a PEng. I will be there for 3 years before moving to New York.

My question is will my out-of-country experience count towards my 4 year experience requirement (outside of my degree)? Any help it much appreciated, thanks!

Thank you for the response! I had emailed the board, and the advice I got was to look at the requirements on their website. From the site, the requirements are:

Experience acceptable for licensure must be of a scope and nature satisfactory to the Department and must be appropriately verified by the Department. The experience must:

1. demonstrate the intensive application of engineering principles in the practical solution of engineering problems;
  2. demonstrate a knowledge of engineering mathematics, physical and applied sciences, properties of materials, and the fundamental principles of engineering design;
  3. be broad in scope;
  4. develop and mature the applicant's engineering knowledge and judgment; and
  5. include at least two years of experience working on projects requiring knowledge and use of codes and practices commonly used in the United States.
Letter "e" infers to me that I am allowed experience outside the country as long as I have a minimum of 2 in the country. If anyone has a different interpretation or former experience applying to the New York board with similar credentials I would greatly appreciate input. Thanks!

Thank you for the response! I had emailed the board, and the advice I got was to look at the requirements on their website. From the site, the requirements are:

Experience acceptable for licensure must be of a scope and nature satisfactory to the Department and must be appropriately verified by the Department. The experience must:

1. demonstrate the intensive application of engineering principles in the practical solution of engineering problems;

demonstrate a knowledge of engineering mathematics, physical and applied sciences, properties of materials, and the fundamental principles of engineering design;
be broad in scope;
develop and mature the applicant's engineering knowledge and judgment; and
include at least two years of experience working on projects requiring knowledge and use of codes and practices commonly used in the United States.
Letter "e" infers to me that I am allowed experience outside the country as long as I have a minimum of 2 in the country. If anyone has a different interpretation or former experience applying to the New York board with similar credentials I would greatly appreciate input. Thanks!
Number 5 doesn't actually state that you need to have two years of practice in the US, but rather that a minimum of two years of your engineering experience must include "projects requiring knowledge and use of codes and practices commonly used" in the US.

This means if you use codes during your work in Canada then that experience would count. Similarly, if your experience doesn't include any of these codes, whether in the US or Canada, then you might have a problem. Chances are though that you are using US standard codes and practices even if you are not fully aware of it. When you're working on your application spell out every equation you use and relate it to a US standard code. I would advise that you start a draft word document with all projects you work on and write down what you do for each project. That way when the application comes it will be much easier for you to complete it - I personally found the NYS application to be almost as exhausting as the exam itself!

Good luck with everything!

Last edited by a moderator:
I Concur with above^^

I know my experience with my mechanical background is different from yours but I can speak to the fact that many of the design codes or regulatory codes in Canada have reciprocity with the United States. For example the United States "Hazardous Materials" Regulations are very similar to Canada's "Dangerous Goods" Regulations. (just named differently, but read almost the same) I would count working with both as experience as long as I could defend that they were similar and that I had knowledge of both. ("...practices commonly used in the United States.) Hopefully your experience will be the same... After all, why would Canada want you if they didn't see the reciprocity in your current experience coming from the U.S.? Canada also has Professional Engineers and a form for licensing them. Who know, maybe your experience could lead to having PE Lincensure in both countries if the experience could be applied from both?

Good Luck!!

Back