New Movie Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the pi$$ out of Netflix. I go through at least two movies a week. Works out to be cheaper than renting locally, too. I feel a little bad about that because the mom & pop shope I used to go to went under a couple years ago.

redboxed Juno last night - thought it was a funny little movie. Hip soundtrack. ODB recommended.

Will Ferrel's "Blades of Glory" is on cable now. I thought it was pretty funny.

If you like sophmoric humor and haven't seen it yet, check it out.

"Hey Nancy Kerrigan are you an official here? because you have officially given me a boner."

"It's a curse."

I saw "There Will Be Blood" on DVD the other night. Not exactly pleasant watching (all characters were messed up in their own way), but it seemed to be going somewhere and it kept my interest. Until the very end, which was one of those "Huh, it's over? What the hell was the point?" endings.

In other news, I am terribly saddened to report that Hollywood Theaters is closing. That was Saipan's only movie theater. It was a 7-screen cinema that opened in 1999. I probably would have moved away in early 2000 if it hadn't been for that theater, which made life here seem more bearable. The first movie I saw there was "Mystery Men." The last movie I saw was "Vantage Point."

I sure hope someone else buys it and re-opens. I told my wife that if the theater ever closed, that would be our sign to give up on Saipan and move to the States.

:sniff:

We watched "21" this past weekend. I thought it was a decent movie. All the "dazzle" that you expect in such a flick. i am not sure how the real life story ended, but in the movie it was a happy ending. anyone seen this yet?
Just saw "21" last weekend. It was ok. It does tell and interesting story.

Here's a list of movies I recently watched that I found to be pretty good (I'm restricting the titles to ones people probably haven't already recommended or have seen thus far, but my apologies if these have been aforementioned):

1. Wristcutters: A Love Story (dark comedy, sort of independent film)
  2. The Mist (horror movie that actually scares viewer without trying to gross them out)
  3. Sweeney Todd (I normally hate musicals but this really was over the top)
  4. Mr. Brooks
  5. Beowulf
  6. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead

Hmm, I'm not really sure why all the movies I listed are violent/disturbing in some way...an implicit assumption that the people on this board would not normally watch disturbing/violent movies perhaps? I watch normal movies too, I swear!

Last edited by a moderator:
redboxed Juno last night - thought it was a funny little movie. Hip soundtrack. ODB recommended.
I redboxed Juno over the weekend. I thought it was the best movie I've seen in a long time. It is Kevo recommended as well.

I watched The Darjeeling Limited last night. I loved Rushmore and The Life Aquatic, by the same director, and this one was similar. Not sure I liked it as much as either of those two, though. Not sure if most other engineers would enjoy those films, anyway. They're kind of odd.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Great movie. I think I like this one better than Superbad, 40 Year Old Virgin, and Knocked Up. Highly recommended movie...

I watched The Darjeeling Limited last night. I loved Rushmore and The Life Aquatic, by the same director, and this one was similar. Not sure I liked it as much as either of those two, though. Not sure if most other engineers would enjoy those films, anyway. They're kind of odd.
I like the Wes Anderson stuff - esp. Royal Tennenbaums - Bottle Rocket (his first) was pretty good too.

However, I could not get into Life Aquatic

Went to watch '21' over the weekend. Not a bad movie. Made even better b/c we had free tickets. My wife is a big Kevin Spacey fan, so she definitely enjoyed it.

Recommended? If it's one of two choices, I would choose the other one, but it's definitely rental worthy.

Saw Speed Racer with my son over the weekend...good visual effects...but I do not like John Goodman...every time he was on the screen I could only see him as Fred Flintstone....but the rest of the cast was great...

who's looking forward to the new Indiana Jones movie?
I'm afraid to get my hopes up for the new Indiana Jones movie (Indiana Jones and the quest for the artificial hip? :dunno: ). It seems these attempts to revive an (awesome) older movie series tends to fall flat. But USA was playing all the old Indiana Jones movies over the weekend and it was really hard after watching them not to get excited about the new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
We already have our tickets for the new Indiana Jones movie. Kmart was giving them away when you bought (4) Dr. Pepper 2-Liters. Since we only drink DP, it was a no-brainer. And the fact that my wife is jonesing for the movie.

Back