New Movie Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^All that just akes me want to cry. Literally - now that we have no theater anymore, I have no chance of seeing Indiana Jones, Ironman, or anything else until it comes out on DVD.

I watched The Darjeeling Limited last night. I loved Rushmore and The Life Aquatic, by the same director, and this one was similar. Not sure I liked it as much as either of those two, though. Not sure if most other engineers would enjoy those films, anyway. They're kind of odd.
I just saw the Darjeeling Limited this weekend. I loved it, but I love all those movies. I already bought the soundtrack, which is great.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Marissa Tomei was nekkid in "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead." It wasn't brief, either.

We rented Sweeny Todd the other day. A rather interesting movie, never saw the play version but I think it would lend itself better to that scene.

I saw Baby Mama over the weekend and would not recommend it to a bunch of men. I would also hesitate to recommend it to a bunch of women...it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.

Last night we watched Finding Nemo for the first time with my 2.5 year old son and the part at the very beginning when Nemo gets taken away caused my son to burst into tears. This was the first time he's ever cried about a movie and he was distraught that the dad couldn't get Nemo. Thanks Disney!

Iron Man = Awesome.

For me, the one liners made the movie.

"Gee, this looks important." <rips a bundle of control wires off the enemys machine>

Last night we watched Finding Nemo for the first time with my 2.5 year old son and the part at the very beginning when Nemo gets taken away caused my son to burst into tears. This was the first time he's ever cried about a movie and he was distraught that the dad couldn't get Nemo. Thanks Disney!
That's one movie I thought kids would freak out about.

i would have thought the part where the mom gets eaten would be more of the tear jerker

I'm so pumped about Ironman.

For whatever reason, my wife won't go out and see it with me. :(

I'll just buy the DVD I guess.....

I'm so pumped about Ironman.
For whatever reason, my wife won't go out and see it with me. :(

I'll just buy the DVD I guess.....
I'm in the same boat. I may just use the TIVO/Amazon option when it is available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Baby Mama over the weekend and would not recommend it to a bunch of men. I would also hesitate to recommend it to a bunch of women...it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.
If you notice, virtually all Disney "kids" movies are about dysfunctional families brought on by tragedy.

Bambi - mother shot by a hunter

Lion King - parents killed

Little Mermaid - dispute with father

Cinderella - orphan raised by step mother

Snow White - banished to the woods

The list goes on....

If you notice, virtually all Disney "kids" movies are about dysfunctional families brought on by tragedy.
Bambi - mother shot by a hunter

Lion King - parents killed

Little Mermaid - dispute with father

Cinderella - orphan raised by step mother

Snow White - banished to the woods

The list goes on....
Yeah, we've been watching Brother Bear on repeat (hence buying Finding Nemo) and I said to my husband, "He can handle multiple deaths and a guy turning into a bear, but he's distraught over a little separation?" It doesn't help that my husband used to be on the road all the time for work...it's like my son has tiny PTSD.

Oh, and the part at the beginning didn't even phase him...death okay, temporary separation not. I'm fascinated at the rules in my son's head.

Ironman was worth the wait. I gave my wife the opportunity not to see it, but she chose to go. I don't have a problem with going by myself. I didn't think that it was appropriate for kids, even though a few were in there. (For example, the pole dancing scene had to create a few questions....)

Also saw Baby Mama over the weekend- could have been funnier, but it was OK.

Looking forward to Indianna Jones.

^^Speaking of PTSD, I watched "In the Valley of Elah" last night on DVD. Brutal, heart-wrenching. I highly recommend it, though I am sure different people will have different reactions to it.

I just caught Rocky Balboa and was pleasantly surprised. Stallone pulled off a believable story and it meshed together really well I thought. Highly recommended if you have any interest in the series at all.

I just caught Rocky Balboa and was pleasantly surprised. Stallone pulled off a believable story and it meshed together really well I thought. Highly recommended if you have any interest in the series at all.
you have got to be kidding me.

This was not much more than a compilation of flashbacks and cliches. FWIW, I am a Rocky fan and even bought a copy of "Balboa" to complete my DVD set. This one doesn't suck as bad as Rocky V but I wouldn't say that the story was believable or meshed well. Too much pining for Adrianne for my tastes. It is what it is...a stab by Stallone at making a few more bucks off of the Rocky series.

If you like the series then you probably won't mind sitting through it. JMHO.

Ok now it's time to see Rambo (2008)

you have got to be kidding me.
Nope--not kidding at all.

I really enjoyed the movie. What happens to a star in the twilight of his career? How does he deal with the life moving forward when he perhaps doesn't want to? What happens to a fighter that doesn't (or can't) fight?

I even enjoyed the relationship between Rocky and his son. There was a bit of pining for Adriane, but it really helped build the ethos of this warrior at a very different point in his life...

Its not a 5 star film, but I would give it a solid 4.

Back