New Laptop?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just do a quick search for Amazon and look for the Black Friday thread. Thats how I find it!

Good luck.

There is a sticky thread with a link at the top of Shoot the Breeze. "Amazon Link - Please read .." you have to scroll down a few posts to find the link.

Stay away from HP.

Stay away from Norton anti-virus.

My Toshiba Satellite laptop is 6.5 years old and still seems to be running OK.

the only time we have had a problem with norton anti-virus was when there was a stray rather hidden mcaffe antivirus file still on the hard drive. If the computer was void of mcaffe files no issues were encoutered.

15" with a full number pad? Do they make those?

I'm typing this from my MacBookPro, BTW. It runs OSX and Windows 7.

^^^
medium.jpg

My typical steps when setting up a computer for myself or others....

Step 1: Assemble PC/Laptop

Step 2: Follow whatever on-screen stuff you have to go through to get to a desktop

Step 3: Find Control Panel, Uninstall McAfee, Norton, etc

Step 4: Install Microsoft Security Essentials (apparently not needed in Win 8)

Step 5: Install CCleaner, set to run at log-in

Step 6: Trim as many startups as you can from the boot process...

Step 7: Install Firefox/Chrome, set as default broswer

Step 8: Enjoy relatively trouble-free operation...

I saw a few funny comments in a story about iOS getting Google Maps back... it likened Apple fanboys/etc to North Koreans.... and Steve Job to Kim Jong II

Last edited by a moderator:
My typical steps when setting up a computer for myself or others....

Step 1: Assemble PC/Laptop

Step 2: Follow whatever on-screen stuff you have to go through to get to a desktop

Step 3: Find Control Panel, Uninstall McAfee, Norton, etc

Step 4: Install Microsoft Security Essentials (apparently not needed in Win 8)

Step 5: Install CCleaner, set to run at log-in

Step 6: Trim as many startups as you can from the boot process... (using the command "msconfig")

Step 7: Install Firefox/Chrome, set as default broswer

Step 8: Enjoy relatively trouble-free operation...
+1

To add to that, also get rid of any "trial" bloat-ware. In addition to installing MSE, I also install Comodo free firewall which does a better job IMO than the integrated windows firewall.

Sorry Capt. We ordered a HP Pavilion last night directly from the manufacturer. I think this was the best deal that we could find:

YOUR CUSTOMIZED HP PC
spacer.gif

dv7t Quad Ed

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)

• NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 memory [HDMI, VGA]

• 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

• 750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

• NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache

• $40 OFF Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2010

• No additional security software

• 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

• 17.3-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1600 x 900)

• Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner

• HP TrueVision HD Webcam

• 802.11b/g/n WLAN

• Backlit Keyboard with numeric keypad

• Included 2 Year Warranty

I searched for coupons after I got to the point of check out and found one that saved us $150 and got us free 2 day shipping. Grand Total with Tax $1045

Now let the buyer's remorse begin...

Sorry Capt. We ordered a HP Pavilion last night directly from the manufacturer. I think this was the best deal that we could find:

YOUR CUSTOMIZED HP PC
spacer.gif

dv7t Quad Ed

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

• 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)

• NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 630M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 memory [HDMI, VGA]

• 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

• 750GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

• NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache

• $40 OFF Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2010

• No additional security software

• 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

• 17.3-inch diagonal HD BrightView LED-backlit Display (1600 x 900)

• Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner

• HP TrueVision HD Webcam

• 802.11b/g/n WLAN

• Backlit Keyboard with numeric keypad

• Included 2 Year Warranty

I searched for coupons after I got to the point of check out and found one that saved us $150 and got us free 2 day shipping. Grand Total with Tax $1045

Now let the buyer's remorse begin...
Well, considering I bought mine in 2001, maybe they've improved.

Video driver died along with a bunch of other stuff hardware related, but I kept it until 2006 at which point the Norton Antivirus ruined it.

Like I said, long time ago, but I'll never buy another one.

^^ What should I have paid? I was pretty proud of myself for finding the online coupon and also tried to compare specs the best I could. I know you could build it for much less than that but I don't know any local computer nerds. I could maybe attempt it but my only experience is disasembling and reassembling our desktop computer (which was a custom build) and would end up spending way too much time and have to buy components twice.

I thought of PM'ing you to find out what you would need to build me one but then also thought: So I send a check written out to knight1fox3 for $1000 and get a $0.44 thank you letter back with a big smiley face on it... :)

^^ LOL, I wasn't suggesting you send me a check for me to build you one. But I do believe I recommended trying to stay away from the mainstream HP and Dell brands who now seem to cater more toward businesses rather than the common consumer. As for the price, did you not click on any of the links I provided in post #12? The ACER had similar specs to the HP you selected and was priced at $750 with free shipping (and no tax). Tough to beat that and had I been in the market, I probably would have went with that.

On a side note, building a laptop PC is much more difficult and intricate than building a desktop PC. I find it best to find a commercial laptop (of the brands I mentioned) that has all the specs you want and carries a mfr warranty.

On another side note, with my side PC building business, I finance the whole project myself and do not expect payment until the completed product is delivered and the end user is satisfied <insert dirty joke here>.

So I send a check written out to knight1fox3 for $1000 and get a $0.44 thank you letter back with a big smiley face on it... :)
Then you give him negative feedback and his user rating goes down.
...until the completed product is delivered and the end user is satisfied <insert dirty joke here>.
I'll use a quote from one of the most underrated snes games "U.N. Squadron"
unsquadron.jpg

^^ LOL, I wasn't suggesting you send me a check for me to build you one. But I do believe I recommended trying to stay away from the mainstream HP and Dell brands who now seem to cater more toward businesses rather than the common consumer. As for the price, did you not click on any of the links I provided in post #12? The ACER had similar specs to the HP you selected and was priced at $750 with free shipping (and no tax). Tough to beat that and had I been in the market, I probably would have went with that. On a side note, building a laptop PC is much more difficult and intricate than building a desktop PC. I find it best to find a commercial laptop (of the brands I mentioned) that has all the specs you want and carries a mfr warranty. On another side note, with my side PC building business, I finance the whole project myself and do not expect payment until the completed product is delivered and the end user is satisfied .
Crap! For some reason I completely missed the links! Oh well, I guess its the price I pay for being hasty.

I was actually looking for more of a business style than home style computer. (we looked at some Acers and I thought they would be too flimsy for my household so i actually took the dell and HP reccomendation as something to lean toward...)

...expect payment until the completed product is delivered and the end user is satisfied .
:mf_boff:

Back