New 2-day structural exam next year

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ble_PE

I need a beer.
Reaction score
I thought this might be of interest to anyone thinking about taking the new 2-day exam next year. I emailed the NCEES to ask what codes were going to be used for the exam and here was the response I received:

They will be the same with the addition of AISI codes to the list. This is true for the April 2011 exam. We will soon set a firm date for the switch to IBC 2009, which will subsequently carry a number of other code changes with the switch, but the change will certainly be after the April 2011 exam is given.
Bruce G. Martin, P.E.

Exam Development Engineer

NCEES

T: 864-624-5475

F: 864-654-6033

ncees.org
By the same he means that the exam will be based on IBC 06 just like the current SEI and SEII exams. This is big for me because it means I wouldn't have to study new codes since I just took the general civil exam in October.

That is somewhat vague. I can only assume he is writing about the cold formed light gauge steel design manual and sepcs.

That is somewhat vague. I can only assume he is writing about the cold formed light gauge steel design manual and sepcs.
What I'm most concerned about is the level of seismic understanding. I'm very GLAD that this exam is finally coming to reality. It has never made sense to me that a structural engineer in Missouri could not design in Washington State. An engineer should be tested consistently across the board. Even though it sets me back 8 hours (potentially if I don't pass this Oct), I still think this is a positive step forward...

Agreed, being an "older" dog here...the seismic requirements have rapidly and massively changed in the last few years...the stuff is less than straightforward...still.....having taken a few exams...I am still waiting on the first question about fatigue which dominates most of our designs...Our let alone detailed questions about 150 mph winds, or detailed snow drift calcs....there are some other big holes that I have not seen covered by any of these exams...

I can only expect that in the future the wind force system design may get as complicated as EQ. I can't until they throw "Overstrength" factors on that...

Agreed, being an "older" dog here...the seismic requirements have rapidly and massively changed in the last few years...the stuff is less than straightforward...still.....having taken a few exams...I am still waiting on the first question about fatigue which dominates most of our designs...Our let alone detailed questions about 150 mph winds, or detailed snow drift calcs....there are some other big holes that I have not seen covered by any of these exams...
I can only expect that in the future the wind force system design may get as complicated as EQ. I can't until they throw "Overstrength" factors on that...
If you pass the current SEI & SEII do you have to retake them to get licensure in the current states that require SEIII? Is there any 'grandfathering' in of those who pass the current SEI&II?

If you pass the current SEI & SEII do you have to retake them to get licensure in the current states that require SEIII? Is there any 'grandfathering' in of those who pass the current SEI&II?
The only grandfather clause pertains to those who have passed the SE II and SE III. If you pass the SE I and SE II, but not the SE III, you will get a pat on the back and be told the take the new 16 hour exam next year.

Here's a link to WA website with a few FAQ.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/engineersla...ucturalExam.pdf

The only grandfather clause pertains to those who have passed the SE II and SE III. If you pass the SE I and SE II, but not the SE III, you will get a pat on the back and be told the take the new 16 hour exam next year.

Here's a link to WA website with a few FAQ.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/engineersla...ucturalExam.pdf
bummer, I should have waited until the new format came out

I just read an article on the NCSEA that said that California is "considering" adopting this new exam. If California doesn't adopt the 2-day SE by NCEES, they will have to come up with an additional 8-hours of examinations to stay consistent. Does anyone know whether they have stated they will be using the new 2-day exam?

CA has not really stated this just yet. I really do assume that they do because the SEAOC helped develop this exam.

Until then, the CA SE3 is still open for business.....

Not to change subjects, but it will be nice to have consistency and popular publications to study with. Please, PPI and Kaplan, we need you!

If I have SEI and II will I be able to register in the states do not currently require SEIII like Illinois, Nevada?

It seems the new exam will cover more stuff as CA and WA will adopt it.

Thanks

Please pardon my lack of reading comprehension, but I can't tell if I actually have to RESTUDY bridge design if I'm a building engineer and visa versa. Can anyone confirm this?

Please pardon my lack of reading comprehension, but I can't tell if I actually have to RESTUDY bridge design if I'm a building engineer and visa versa. Can anyone confirm this?
From what I can tell, the multiple choice parts of the exam will still have both, but the essay parts will be either buildings or bridges.

From what I can tell, the multiple choice parts of the exam will still have both, but the essay parts will be either buildings or bridges.
That's what I was afraid of. I don't want to have to purchase a $400 book just to relearn AASHTO (something I'll never use).

Outatime,

In order to be a CA PE: Civil you must pass the NCEES PE: Civil exam as well as the 2.5 hour CA special seismic exam and the 2.5 hour CA special survey exam.

In order to be a CA SE (a registered structural engineer), you must first be a registered CA Civil engineer. You must also pass the NCEES: Structural II exam and the 8 hour CA special structural exam (ie: the Structural III exam.) On top of all of this, you must also know three CA (or other "western zone") SE's to be able to fill out the application.

CA does not use the Structural I exam. I have heard that some people have substituted the SE1 with the Civil exam though.

Thanks, kevo. This transition to the new 16-hour National format is a little confusing. My understanding is that CA has adopted the new national format, which is SE I and SE II exams starting in April 2011. However, I have not read anywhere that CA has abandoned the special structural exam (SE III). So worst case scenario is you may have to take all 3 exams.

Back