New 2-day structural exam next year

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, kevo. This transition to the new 16-hour National format is a little confusing. My understanding is that CA has adopted the new national format, which is SE I and SE II exams starting in April 2011. However, I have not read anywhere that CA has abandoned the special structural exam (SE III). So worst case scenario is you may have to take all 3 exams.
Effective April 2011, CA will be using the 16-hour national structural exam. There is no substitution for the existing exams given the last time in October 2010. Anyone who has not passed all portions of the existing NCEES structural exam October 2010, will have to start over and pass the new NCEES 16-hour exam on/after April 2011.

PLUS:

Business and Professions Code 6763.1. Structural Engineer examination requirements

An applicant to use the title “structural engineer” shall have successfully passed a written examination that incorporates a national examination for structural engineering by a nationally recognized entity approved by the board, if available, and a supplemental California specific examination. The California specific examination shall test the applicant’s knowledge of state laws, rules, and regulations, and of seismicity and structural engineering unique to practice in this state. The board shall use the national examination on or before December 31, 2004.

So, after October 2010, California WILL have an additional exam per the above statutory requirement. It is not known yet the format, length, or when it will be available for the candidate population. It is still a work in progress.

I'm signed up to take the SEII this October (the last time this test is offered). However, at the end of the day, assuming I pass, will this really do anything for me? I was hoping to get out of ever taking the new 2-day exam.

I live on the east coast, so I'm not so concerned about getting a CA or WA license. Does anyone know where I can find a state-by-state list of what's required to practice as a structural engineer?

For example:

In CA, you need SEI, SEII & SEIII

In IL, you need SEI & SEII

In ...., you need ....

Thanks.

I'm in NC and passed the SEII Fall 09. I've registered as structural engineer in Illinois, which only requires the SEII. I'm in the process of applying for the Modern Law Structural Engineer (MLSE) with NCEES.

My hope is when states start requiring SE registrations to practice structural engineering, NCEES will be the national standard since they are adminstring the exam. By registering for the MLSE with NCEES now, I will be able to maintain MLSE even if after exam format changes.

However at this point there is no guarantee on how states will implement new SE requlations, if at all, other than taking the new SE exam.

Back