Need your help about making a career decision.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyEngineer

Reaction score
Hello,

A little bit about me. I completed my Bachelor's and Master's (GPA above 3.75) in Electrical Engineering from an good ABET school in the North East. The focus of my Masters was Wireless Communication. I have one journal publication in Radio Frequency.

I am about to complete a 4 year contract with the US Army. I served enlisted in Army Electronics. I have also successfully passed my FE exam in Electrical last fall. During my service in the Army I received my US Citizenship and Security Clearance.

I intend to work as an Electrical Engineer (Federal or Private job) once my contract is up and I have decided to start applying for jobs. I have 2 questions and will be grateful for any reply:

1) What are the chances of an Electrical Engineering job in this market with my qualifications? Is there a particular kind of job/company I should target?

2) What can I do in the next 6 months or so to improve my chances of landing a job as an Electrical Engineer.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

ArmyEngineer

One way you can test the waters is to put your credentials out on LinkedIn and see if the recruiters come calling.

I've seen a lot of activity in hiring EE's recently. Two of ours with advanced degrees got snapped up by GE and I'm seeing a lot of other movement - this in the utility industry. I think with an MSEE you have a good chance, so don't sell yourself short too quick for *A* job, when *THE RIGHT* job may be right around the corner. Find the industry that you want to work in and/or the companies you want to work for and go after them.

Best of luck and tell us how it turns out.

judging from what you have stated above I think your chances of finding a job in this market are quite good. There is quite a bit of demand currently for electrical engineers, and especially those with a wireless background. Best of luck!

Oh ya..with the clearance and military background, you will get a lot offers...but also depending where are you located.

Back