Need help. Engineer technology major for PE license

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like you have your answer but I'll add my two cents since others may find it useful. I got a BET in Civil from RIT in NY, in 1985. I was not allowed to take the FE in NY so I took it in Massachusetts. I decided to take the PE in 2008. NY accepted the FE from Mass. and allowed me to take the PE. I did have to prove 8 years qualifying experience.

This thread is ridiculous. I wonder what states allow nurses to be surgeons or pharm tech's to be pharmacist. If you want to be an engineer so bad why not get an actual degree in engineering?

This thread is ridiculous. I wonder what states allow nurses to be surgeons or pharm tech's to be pharmacist. If you want to be an engineer so bad why not get an actual degree in engineering?

Probably because they didn't want to be associated with folks such as yourself.
Summer's Eve!

I don't know why you're call me a douche. mwchandler is being a total jackass to people that are trying to obtain their PE licenses, which is the main focus of this board.

Engineers aren't doctors or pharmacists.

Summer's Eve!

I don't know why you're call me a douche. mwchandler is being a total jackass to people that are trying to obtain their PE licenses, which is the main focus of this board.

Yeah, mwchandler's comment was pretty douchey. People are asking legitimate questions and he's trying to pull an ego trip. Big headed engineers are almost as bad as architects...

Summer's Eve!

Yeah, mwchandler's comment was pretty douchey. People are asking legitimate questions and he's trying to pull an ego trip. Big headed engineers are almost as bad as architects...
Whoa there big fella! I don't think that will ever be possible. :laugh:

Summer's Eve!

Whoa there big fella! I don't think that will ever be possible. :laugh:
I did say almost....

I know Colorado allows engineering tech degrees. The work experience requirements are higher (8 years instead of 4, I think).

Dexman is nearly correct about the Colorado req'mts. However, estimating and construction management experience can/may be counted and the total experience is (6) years plus (4) counted from education as long as it's ABET accredited.

I have a BSEET here in Colorado and was allowed to sit for the exam after 4+ years of experience under the supervision of a PE and many years as an electrician, estimator, project manager, etc..

Double check your state req'mts. They may allow you to sit for the exam after perhaps 6-8 years of experience. Some states even allow you to test if you have a non-engineering degree after 8-10 years of qualified engineering experience.

I know when I grew up in MA, the state allowed a person to test with no degree after 30 years, or at least that's what one of my professors had told us. It was assumed that with 30 years of practical experience, an individual would have the where-withall (SP?) to have absorbed all that's needed in everyday engineering.

Good luck, write some letters and get er' done!

This is interesting, I went on to the Illinois State website and found this:
"A recent change in the law now allows for Engineer Interns to take the PE before or while working on obtaining their engineering experience. Previously one could only take the exam after completing the experience portion of the requirement. You may still opt to take the PE after obtaining your experience if that is your preference. If you graduated from an accredited four-year engineering program you require four years of professional experience. If you graduated from an accredited four year program in an engineering related science you require eight years of experience."

So you can actually take your PE exam in Illinois before you have the experience, I guess they just don't actually give you your PE license until you qualify with experience and pass the test. I so wish I could've taken the PE exam right after the FE exam while all that stuff was still fresh in my mind and then just show my experience later on!

Bman - Nice find, testing before your experience is complete would be nice! Take it while the material's fresh from school rather than waiting till life's experiences (in and out of work) have ground down the sharp edges of the mind makes it a bit more of an effort..

Summer's Eve!

I can't resist.... I know everyone has probably heard this, but you know what they say about Architects...

"Not gay enough to be interior designers, and not smart enough to be Engineers".

There I said it! Here comes the back-lash!

Summer's Eve!

Chucktown -- my comment was towards mwchandler's douchey comment, not towards you. I agree with you completly, that's why I made the comment. Sorry for the confusion!

Summer's Eve!

Chucktown -- my comment was towards mwchandler's douchey comment, not towards you. I agree with you completly, that's why I made the comment. Sorry for the confusion!
gotcha. no problem. And I have no problem bashing architects either. Although, I've been really pleased with the one I'm working with for my house.

This is interesting, I went on to the Illinois State website and found this:
"A recent change in the law now allows for Engineer Interns to take the PE before or while working on obtaining their engineering experience. Previously one could only take the exam after completing the experience portion of the requirement. You may still opt to take the PE after obtaining your experience if that is your preference. If you graduated from an accredited four-year engineering program you require four years of professional experience. If you graduated from an accredited four year program in an engineering related science you require eight years of experience."

So you can actually take your PE exam in Illinois before you have the experience, I guess they just don't actually give you your PE license until you qualify with experience and pass the test. I so wish I could've taken the PE exam right after the FE exam while all that stuff was still fresh in my mind and then just show my experience later on!
There are very limited cases where this applies.

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/adminc...800002300R.html

8 years later...

I have my NY&NJ PE. I have been practicing EE for 10+ years in LV & MV for the industrial and commercial industries. I also have a EET degree and I'm relocating to FL and Im trying to get my FL. PE. FL PE statute has barriers for individuals with EET.

Does anyone know of anyone who got there PE with a EET degree in FL?

8 years later...

I have my NY&NJ PE. I have been practicing EE for 10+ years in LV & MV for the industrial and commercial industries. I also have a EET degree and I'm relocating to FL and Im trying to get my FL. PE. FL PE statute has barriers for individuals with EET.

Does anyone know of anyone who got there PE with a EET degree in FL?
You can now...hot off the press!

https://fbpe.org/from-the-executive-director-how-the-new-law-affects-engineers-firms/

Engineering Technology Degrees

Currently, only graduates with engineering sciences degrees from Board-approved programs are eligible for licensure in Florida. Under the new law, that changes via Section 471.013, F.S.

Graduates with bachelor’s degrees in engineering technology from Board-approved programs also will be able to apply for a PE license in Florida once the new law goes into effect”

https://fbpe.org/from-the-executive-director-how-the-new-law-affects-engineers-firms/

Currently, only graduates with engineering sciences degrees from Board-approved programs are eligible for licensure in Florida. Under the new law, that changes via Section 471.013, F.S.

Graduates with bachelor’s degrees in engineering technology from Board-approved programs also will be able to apply for a PE license in Florida once the new law goes into effect”
Good to know.  Thanks for sharing!

Do you know where the new language resides?  From what I’ve just read it has to be a tech degree from within the FL university system.

Back