Need advice. Review materials for COMPUTER exam.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedyox

Reaction score
I'm going to take the computer exam in october and am seeking opinions about review materials.

I just ordered EERM8, EESX3, EEPP8 from PPI and the official sample test from NCEES. PPI gave me their little suggested study schedule and it seems to have a big hole in the coverage -- 25% of the study time is dedicated to "computers" which has no applicable sections in any of my ppi references.

Can anyone who has taken the "new" depth/depth computer exam tell me what references you used (both for studying and the actual test) and what you thought of them?

I'm sure I've got logic design and digital design covered out of my own library and experience (I do high-speed digital electronics design at work).

But I'm particularly leery of the 25% of the test that is software since I don't have any work experience in that area and don't know where to turn to learn it. I'm also a little worried about the 10% networks section since that topic is so broad but yet it only makes up 10% of the test, so I need to know where to focus.

The last issue is the choice of calculator. I'm deciding between Casio FX-115ES, Casio FX-115MS+, and HP35S. I use wxMaxima, my TI-85, and/or google at work so the decision is only for this test. I'd be open to trying out RPN, so all 3 options are on the table. Can anyone tell me how the differences in those 3 calculators pertain to the Computer exam?

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, Brent. There's no good list of references for that exam.

There's a thread around here somewhere that lists what people, including me, took with them and what was helpful. I'll see if I can dig it up for ya.

Back