NEC 2011

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judowolf PE

Reaction score
Just curious if you think having the actual NEC 2011 would be more helpful or if the offical NEC 2011 handbook would be enough...I hate to purchase both, but I believe the handbook would be much easier to use...Thanks!

I took the handbook only. The entire code is in there and IMHO the additional information in the handbook can come in handy especially if you don't deal with the code on a regular basis.

You should get the handbook for studying and bring that to the exam. There will be no point of just getting the NEC unless you are not planning to study it (meaning you already know it) then you it might be better off getting the cheaper and lighter (weight) book............?

Also note that NFPA revised the table numbering so it is definitively worth getting the 2011 and not trying to use the 2008 version. I am talking about looking at solutions to problems. I don't think you need to know the exact table number while taking the test; just where it is.

Do any of you know if there is a better index available? It seems like every time I go to look something up in the code, I can never find it in the index. I found a program called PDF Index Generator, but it costs $50 and I don't know if it really works. Thanks!

i am taking the exam second time here. i used NEC 2008 and scored 7/10 because the remaining three questions drove me crazy since i swear they don't exist in the book.. i will be using NEC 2011 for the April exam, it's more than enough, you don't need the handbook.

i am taking the exam second time here. i used NEC 2008 and scored 7/10 because the remaining three questions drove me crazy since i swear they don't exist in the book.. i will be using NEC 2011 for the April exam, it's more than enough, you don't need the handbook.
Some times when something is hard to find in the NEC the index is a good resource...also important BUY THE NEC TABS!! It saves you time going back and forward...is like 12 bucks but is money well spend on finding stuff in the NEC

Some times when something is hard to find in the NEC the index is a good resource...also important BUY THE NEC TABS!! It saves you time going back and forward...is like 12 bucks but is money well spend on finding stuff in the NEC
Thanks, I'll try that.

Back