NCEES Specification on

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone else from here going to listen in on this?
I am going to try to do some work while it is on, but plan on taking a couple of notes and/or posting some thoughts about it on here later.

-Ray
I'm on it now... so far some really stupid questions!

Will NCEES issue a new CERM?

Will the PE application be better modified to show experience?

Here's the best (dumbest) so far: Will Construction persons need to take the FE exam prior to the PE exam?

OK... not a very good use of an hour and a half. There were a lot of questions that are best addressed by the State boards (e.g. will this or that experience count). I asked what stamped products a ConE would produce (other than structural items such as scaffolding, formwork, falsework, etc.) - I didn't get a good answer. I also asked why a construction firm would value their ConE getting a PE - again, no good answer except that maybe it would help them retain employees.

I get the impression this is a "build it and they will come" concept. It will be interesting to see what the numbers show.

The biggest detractor for this depth: it requires design references. It also seems there are a lot of qualitative questions that will be asked.

I have the same assessment as you IlPadrino. People asked the same question, not necessarily relevant to the Construction Module, several times.

They probably should have had a screener review the questions prior to them being asked. That would have saved a lot of time.

I ended up putting the seminar on hold a few times to take other calls, any time I would switch back, it sounded like they were talking about the exact same thing.

I have the same assessment as you IlPadrino. People asked the same question, not necessarily relevant to the Construction Module, several times.
They probably should have had a screener review the questions prior to them being asked. That would have saved a lot of time.

I ended up putting the seminar on hold a few times to take other calls, any time I would switch back, it sounded like they were talking about the exact same thing.

I think it was a waste of time. They gave a numerical breakdown of questions instead of percentages, and said good luck studying. I didnt get anything out of it. Hopefully they come up with something else to help out. Alot of people were asking if there were any references they could get which would help, since we are all in the dark for the most part (and yes I'm taking this depth in April, and a little apprehensive about it). They didnt give anyone much direction, which makes me think they arent sure how to prepare for it anyway. Im studying for it, but I'm thinking that previous experience is gonna make the big difference this first exam. Here's hoping.

I think it was a waste of time. They gave a numerical breakdown of questions instead of percentages, and said good luck studying. I didnt get anything out of it. Hopefully they come up with something else to help out. Alot of people were asking if there were any references they could get which would help, since we are all in the dark for the most part (and yes I'm taking this depth in April, and a little apprehensive about it). They didnt give anyone much direction, which makes me think they arent sure how to prepare for it anyway. Im studying for it, but I'm thinking that previous experience is gonna make the big difference this first exam. Here's hoping.
I'm not sure you'd need any references besides those already listed and the CERM. Many of the topics are pretty straight-forward (read: any general engineering student should have covered it in their first two years of school). Others seem heavy on the references (e.g. OSHA).

I'd be very interested to see what the sample NCEES test looks like. Has anyone purchased it?

I'm not sure you'd need any references besides those already listed and the CERM. Many of the topics are pretty straight-forward (read: any general engineering student should have covered it in their first two years of school). Others seem heavy on the references (e.g. OSHA).
I'd be very interested to see what the sample NCEES test looks like. Has anyone purchased it?

Right after the webinar I purchased it so I could get an idea. I have come construction textbooks I'm reviewing, but they just dont have anything as all-encompassing as the CERM to help out for this first test, so hopefully they grade us on a big curve.

I understand that the construction depth exam is new for 2008.

Is the construction portion of the civil breadth exam also new for 2008?

If so, does anyone know if the current CERM is sufficient for the construction material of the breadth exam?

I understand that the construction depth exam is new for 2008.
Is the construction portion of the civil breadth exam also new for 2008?

If so, does anyone know if the current CERM is sufficient for the construction material of the breadth exam?
Some topics got rebranded to ConE (Economic Analysis and Critical Path Method) but there are some new ones:

Code:
I. CONSTRUCTION 20%
  A. Earthwork Construction and Layout
    1. Excavation and embankment (cut and fill)
    2. Borrow pit volumes
    3. Site layout and control
  B. Estimating Quantities and Costs
    1. Quantity take-off methods
    2. Cost estimating
  C. Scheduling
    1. Construction sequencing
    2. Resource scheduling
    3. Time-cost trade-off
  D. Material Quality Control and Production
    1. Material testing (e.g., concrete, soil, asphalt)
  E. Temporary Structures
    1. Construction loads

The CERM might be enough... I'd love to see what the NCEES sample exam looks like.

Some topics got rebranded to ConE (Economic Analysis and Critical Path Method) but there are some new ones:
The CERM might be enough... I'd love to see what the NCEES sample exam looks like.
I have the sample exam- there is one question about OSHA that I didn't have a clue about, but that might have been in the afternoon. The morning construction section consisted of: horz/vert curves, geotech stuff with moisture contents (already on there), and project management stuff (already there- traffic section I think). I didn't see any morning questions that weren't in the CERM somewhere, you just have to search them out. The practice exam also has the reference from which they got the equations or information to answer the question- I don't have it with me, but if you want I can go through and list off the construction books. My coworker had one of them listed and it has everything I need in it.

Peurifoy and Schexnayder, Construction Planning, Equipment and Materials, 6th ed.

Nunally, Construction Methods and Management, 2nd ed. and 3rd ed.

Kavanagh, Surveying with Construction Application, 2nd ed.

Frank R. Walker Company, Walker's Building Estimator's Reference Book, 28th ed.

Collier and Ledbetter, Engineering Cost Analysis, 1982

Gerald Smith, Engineering Ecomony, 4th ed.

Callahan, Quackenbush, and Rowings, COnstruction Project Scheduling, 1992

Portland Cement Company, Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures

Meriam and Kraige, Engineering Mechanics, Vol 1, 3rd ed.

Oberlender, Project Management for Engineering and Construction, 2nd ed.

Associated General Contractors of America, Construction Planning and Scheduling, 1997

Schexnayder and Mayo, Construction Management Fundamentals, 2003

Kosmatha, Kerkhoff, and Panarese, Design and Control of Concrete Mixtures, 14th ed.

McCarthy, Essentials of Soil Mechanics and Foundations, 6th ed.

ACI 347-04

OSHA 1926.451

Peurifoy, Schexnayder, and Shapira, Construction Planning, Equipment and Methods, 7th ed.

OSHA Forms 300 and 300A

Cheney and Chassie, Soils and Foundations Workshop Manual

Good grief, and I apologize in advance for typos :)

I have a copy of the Walker Estimator's Reference Book, 18th Edition - Copyright 1973. It is a hierloom passed to me by one of the old senior guys here who retired in 2004. The book is pretty good at explaining the means and methods of activities (I just love reading the labor rates the book uses - $7.10/hr).

Thank for publishing this list of references. I have the Peurifoy and Schexnayder, Construction Planning, Equipment and Materials, 7th ed. book and it is pretty good on earthwork and equipment cost. However, it doesn't extend on scheduling and project planning. Of these references, which one you see that is worth to get for these topics?

Thank for publishing this list of references. I have the Peurifoy and Schexnayder, Construction Planning, Equipment and Materials, 7th ed. book and it is pretty good on earthwork and equipment cost. However, it doesn't extend on scheduling and project planning. Of these references, which one you see that is worth to get for these topics?

The Associated General Contractors of America one isnt too bad, I found that online pretty cheap. However, I found one of my old textbooks from college to be better. But if you just need some brushup, AGCA would be fine. (note: the CERM also has a section on it in the final misc topics section, but I would advise getting an actual book, they do not get into much detail concerning probabilistic planning methods)

Is the Construction portion new to the Breadth Exam also for 2008?
Hello I am new to this board and will be taking the April Construction depth exam.

Where did you get Peurifoy and Schexnayder, Construction Planning, Equipment and Materials, 7th ed. ? I tried to find this book and the one I found was too expensive for me considering all the other books I need. I just paid for a testmasters review course which was also very expensive. We are going over construction this weekend. Hopefully I will get some good notes and practice problems for construction.

Hello I am new to this board and will be taking the April Construction depth exam.

Where did you get Peurifoy and Schexnayder, Construction Planning, Equipment and Materials, 7th ed. ? I tried to find this book and the one I found was too expensive for me considering all the other books I need. I just paid for a testmasters review course which was also very expensive. We are going over construction this weekend. Hopefully I will get some good notes and practice problems for construction.

Hello I am new to this board and will be taking the April Construction depth exam.Where did you get Peurifoy and Schexnayder, Construction Planning, Equipment and Materials, 7th ed. ? I tried to find this book and the one I found was too expensive for me considering all the other books I need. I just paid for a testmasters review course which was also very expensive. We are going over construction this weekend. Hopefully I will get some good notes and practice problems for construction.
I would really appreciate that. Thank you again.

Back