NCEES Power Practice Exam Passed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time posting. Been on and off this site the past year after failing this test last year

i thought I was extremely prepared for this exam taking and passing concept imagery, NCEES and spin up practice exams several times. I also took the Georgia tech class.

Despite all that I was surprised the amount of conceptual questions which I had no idea about. I felt like I was tested on how good the references I brought were. 

Thanks to this forum I had grainger, Wilde, amongst others so I think I did ok.

Anybody feel the same way?
too bad the issues i had were with bus configuration questions, which weren't in my references. I brought a huge crate of books. :mellow:

First time posting. Been on and off this site the past year after failing this test last year

i thought I was extremely prepared for this exam taking and passing concept imagery, NCEES and spin up practice exams several times. I also took the Georgia tech class.

Despite all that I was surprised the amount of conceptual questions which I had no idea about. I felt like I was tested on how good the references I brought were. 

Thanks to this forum I had grainger, Wilde, amongst others so I think I did ok.

Anybody feel the same way?
I did all those practice tests as well and they are good to practice basic skills for the real test.  Good thing that I brought many other references to the test like Camara book and others from college and they helped me even if I didn't use them to study for the test.  You need as much reference books as you can for this test altough we have limited time to look for answers.

Here's one of my favorite exam recaps from a previous exam cycle (specifically electrical power):
Pretty much sums up how I felt after Friday's exam. Many surprise trivia questions out of left field. I don't think I'll be as fortunate as the earlier poster... I felt like I really bombed the AM session. Now for the agonizing wait, but I think I'm going to start studying for April's exam after a few weeks of break time.

not everyone does everything when they have a job. They usually have a "specialty." It'd be illogical for NCEES to think otherwise.

In either case, the study material doesn't go over everything even though the tough questions were textbook related topics. There was one question that required calculation and i only figured it out by reading a DICTIONARY. i couldn't believe that when i came across it. :angry:
So you are saying you weren't familiar with terms that would be found in the field of electrical engineering?

Also, you brought a dictionary as a reference? Impressive.

I don't think anyone expects that you would do everything covered by the exam at work, otherwise the cut score would be much higher than it is. 

Last edited by a moderator:
On 10/29/2016 at 5:41 PM, Phatso86 said: not everyone does everything when they have a job. They usually have a "specialty." It'd be illogical for NCEES to think otherwise. In either case, the study material doesn't go over everything even though the tough questions were textbook related topics. There was one question that required calculation and i only figured it out by reading a DICTIONARY. i couldn't believe that when i came across it. :angry:
So you are saying you weren't familiar with terms that would be found in the field of electrical engineering?Also, you brought a dictionary as a reference? Impressive.

I don't think anyone expects that you would do everything covered by the exam at work, otherwise the cut score would be much higher than it is. 
That is why experience counts.

too bad the issues i had were with bus configuration questions, which weren't in my references. I brought a huge crate of books. :mellow:
I've been lead to believe that it isn't the size of your crate, but how you use it.

So you are saying you weren't familiar with terms that would be found in the field of electrical engineering?
yep, that's exactly what i said. Incredible if you think you can recite a dictionary.

Also, you brought a dictionary as a reference? Impressive.
yep, read above.

one question was not addressed in any study reference, nor school book. only mentioned in a dictionary. 

incredible if you think you know all EE terms in existence.

Right. so the logic is, present items NOT in review books or in school books, correct?

yep, that's exactly what i said. Incredible if you think you can recite a dictionary.

yep, read above.

one question was not addressed in any study reference, nor school book. only mentioned in a dictionary. 

Right. so the logic is, present items NOT in review books or in school books, correct?
By your logic and reasoning, I must say that I am doubly impressed that anyone, including myself, was able to pass such an awful exam.

Why did I pick such a terrible path for my career.  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, Phatso86 said: yep, that's exactly what i said. Incredible if you think you can recite a dictionary.
yep, read above.

By your logic and reasoning, I must say that I am doubly impressed that anyone, including myself, was able to pass such an awful exam.Why did I pick such a terrible path for my career.  :facepalm:
You should have been a structural. It's a much easier exam.

In phatso's defense, I can't tell you how many times I've made a code argument or changed my interpretation of the NEC based on the definitions listed in Article 90 of the NEC.

But generally I can't imagine working in an industry and not knowing the definition of a term of art and thinking that it is so critical to passing the whole exam or not.

It's true you can't know everything but something like bus configurations is a basic part of working in the electric utility industry. Particularly if you work in either design, construction or maintenance.  I'd say most of the folks taking the  power PE have had experience in at least one of those areas.  Having said that I hope you did well.  Sometimes you do better than you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did everyone do who was complaining about this test? I passed so I am not complaining anymore.

That Code Drill book also has a good strategy for the NEC in its intro.  Don't do any more problems but if you follow that strategy regarding the NEC you'll do fine.  I used that and I felt that I got every Code problem right. 
Whats the title of the book?

Back