NCEES has released the 2015 exam outlines

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 6 Minute Solutions series are popular too.

Which sub-discipline do you plan to tackle in the afternoon?

PE here. Passed last spring, first try, minimal studying. Here's my advice for the civil construction depth.

Earthwork and Construction Layout

• Focus on layout - survey of curves, there will be at least one AM and two PM questions
  • The cut/fill, borrow pit and subsurface investigation questions are gimme's
  • If you aren't familiar with Earthwork mass diagrams spend a few hours looking at them - easy to pick up
Estimating Quantities and Costs

• Quantity take-off - review formwork specifically and look up testmasters
  • Cost Estimating - gimme
  • Cost analysis and resource selection - same as cost estimating, just making a choice of <$
  • Work Measurement and productivity - gimme
Construction Operations and Methods

• Rigging - Statics, know statics
  • Crane Stability - Statics
  • Dewatering - Know how to read pump diagram, look up well pointing and single/double lift systems
  • Equipment - gimme
  • Deep foundations - stresses - know how to calculate resistance

Scheduling

KNOW THIS STUFF, it will be on AM and PM and it is not hard and yields points

• Learn how to read their diagrams (CPM networks, backwards critical path, calculate float and resource level)
Material Quantity Control

Not sure about this one, I didn't study at all for this. Whatever questions they had seemed like you could look them up in CERM.

Temporary Structures

Not sure about this one, problems were easy unless they had some weird **** rules about loads that you don't know about. Know where to find this in reference but don't spend too much time.

Health and Safety

Bring OSHA, lookup answers. Easy points.

Overall allocate time this way for studying:

Layout and Earthwork

Scheduling

Estimating

Statics

All other stuff

Take the CERM as a reference and use the appendix. It will get you through questions that you don't even know what they are asking for when you read it. Attack questions that you know you can nail, go back for the ones that you know you could do given enough time and then go after the ones that you have no clue on. Using this three tier progression I knew I had passed when I walked out of there.

The way I figured it I would yield the following:

90% of "Nailed it" questions

70% of "Give me enough time"

40% of " What??" questions

If you have 18/40 "Nailed it" questions and split the remainder between the others you pass. No matter what answer every question.

I realize that these adjustments might disturb you. Just roll with it - everyone has to deal with the same changes. Anyhow - I came to advertise some materials that I have and I'm giving away for FREE in Delaware for the Construction Depth exam: http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=24747#entry7257396

I will not ship this stuff, must pick up.

And....half an hour later my diatribe is over.

Back