NCEES has released the 2015 exam outlines

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Structural Depth topics looks about the same, just worded and organized differently on the syllabus. All the codes were updated though.

I'm just really freaking out now. I do LD and stromwater pretty much exclusively. My transpo is limited to residential road design. LD pretty much spans all the afternoon depths, I was going transpo because it seemed easier for me to learn (or lookup) those topics I didn't know.

This whole addition of this HSM, is just another topic I need to learn, and now with no practice exams or study guides available. The NCEES exams were available last week, I doubt there is anything in there from this HSM. Not to mention that book is $500 !!

I'm just really freaking out now. I do LD and stromwater pretty much exclusively. My transpo is limited to residential road design. LD pretty much spans all the afternoon depths, I was going transpo because it seemed easier for me to learn (or lookup) those topics I didn't know.

This whole addition of this HSM, is just another topic I need to learn, and now with no practice exams or study guides available. The NCEES exams were available last week, I doubt there is anything in there from this HSM. Not to mention that book is $500 !!

I passed without about half of the NCEES listed books. I had none of the AC/PCC pavement books. Do they actually even test on all the books anyway? Like the AASHTO Ped book or the FHWA Culvert book? What questions from the exam outline come from this new AASHTO Hwy Sfty Manl anyway? I can't tell. Relax, you'll do fine. And when you pass, I'll link you back to this post and say "I told you so". ;)

1.I - Highway Safety analysis for certain.

Traffic forcasting looks like it comes from there, and I would say this accident analysis does as well.

See...I was already going in without the pavement and concrete book ... I don't want to be so far behind the 8-ball.

Roundabout design looks new.

There is ADA now too ...section V looks all pretty new, or at least heavier weight.

The CIVIL PE Exam just went through a significant reorganization effective April 2015.

The breadth exam shifted focus away from some areas. Each depth area syllabus has also changed significantly. Some standards have been added. Others have been updated to different versions.

In response to these changes, the content and organization of the PE Review Course taught by Dr. Indranil Goswami is going through a major redesign. The course is still going to be delivered via online webinars and will have a total contact time of 63 hours (21 sessions at 3 hours each) over 10 ½ weeks (2 sessions per week). However, the order of lectures will be reshuffled.

[SIZE=11pt]Also, the 3rd edition of the All In One Civil PE book is being worked on right now and will be submitted to the publisher by January 2015. The anticipated publication date for the 3rd edition is June/July 2015. The recent changes to the PE exam syllabus will be reflected in the additions and edits to this book.[/SIZE]

The CIVIL PE Exam just went through a significant reorganization effective April 2015.

The breadth exam shifted focus away from some areas. Each depth area syllabus has also changed significantly. Some standards have been added. Others have been updated to different versions.

In response to these changes, the content and organization of the PE Review Course taught by Dr. Indranil Goswami is going through a major redesign. The course is still going to be delivered via online webinars and will have a total contact time of 63 hours (21 sessions at 3 hours each) over 10 ½ weeks (2 sessions per week). However, the order of lectures will be reshuffled.

[SIZE=11pt]Also, the 3rd edition of the All In One Civil PE book is being worked on right now and will be submitted to the publisher by January 2015. The anticipated publication date for the 3rd edition is June/July 2015. The recent changes to the PE exam syllabus will be reflected in the additions and edits to this book.[/SIZE]

I'm a big fan of the All-In-One books. I purchased the 2nd edition last year and used it to prepare for the exam this past April. I found it far more helpful than the CERM. Will you also be releasing a new edition of the Exam Guide? Those practice exam questions were some of the best I studied and believe they will benefit future test takers.

Too bad the 3rd edition won't be available for the April 2015 exam.

I'm a big fan of the All-In-One books. I purchased the 2nd edition last year and used it to prepare for the exam this past April. I found it far more helpful than the CERM. Will you also be releasing a new edition of the Exam Guide? Those practice exam questions were some of the best I studied and believe they will benefit future test takers.
this.

I used the NCEES material, old and current at the time as well as the All in One. IMO they were the closest to the actual and very beneficial.

EDIT: It is disheartening that such reference materials wont be revised and available for this go around.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I fail in April, I'll likely buy the updated All In One.

Hey if we all sh1t the bed, maybe the infamous cut score will be lower :Locolaugh:

Show up to the exam and make sure you're totally nude. Other examinees will be too distracted to do well and that will help pull the cut score down. For additional distraction eat lots of refried beans before the exam and during lunch.

EDIT: It is disheartening that such reference materials wont be revised and available for this go around.
The review course notes will contain much if not all the new materials going into the All In One 3rd edition. And the course itself is going through a major overhaul to accommodate all these changes.

If you are in geotech it looks the changes benefit you. Less trans, water, structures more geotech and construction. It looks like more PM questions on general site investigation, geology and construction temp structures. Overall more stuff to study but I'm guessing easier to look up references.

I bought the CERM for the morning session and have been going through it. I'm wondering if anyone else has been going through it and come across sections that we could eliminate needing to study from the book based on the new 2015 exam outlines?

There is tons in the cerm that doesn't need studying.

I bought the CERM for the morning session and have been going through it. I'm wondering if anyone else has been going through it and come across sections that we could eliminate needing to study from the book based on the new 2015 exam outlines?

+1 what matt said.

Even before the outline change, there were countless topics covered in the CERM, not tested on the exam (ex. 'Background and Support'). Just follow the latest outline/syllabus when you study. Study only those topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK thanks guys. Aside from the CERM and NCEES practice test how much other material did you acquire to study for the morning session?

Back