NCEES 2011 Problem 129

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niiickname

Reaction score
I red relevant question and answer.

However I can't understand still and find relevant para. in MERM.

1. How can I know it is saturated steam?

2. I can't understand how second equation was applied.

I can't find relevant equation from MERM.

post-16250-1284645130_thumb.jpg

The question is asking for quality of the steam. This should be your hint that it is saturated steam being withdrawn.  The second equation is the equation for enthalpy of saturated steam that takes into account the quality of the steam.

i.e.:  h=hf+x(hfg)

The key to this problem is that the mixture enthalpy (h, in the above equation) is the average of the water and steam inlet enthalpies.

The question is asking for quality of the steam. This should be your hint that it is saturated steam being withdrawn.  The second equation is the equation for enthalpy of saturated steam that takes into account the quality of the steam.i.e.:  h=hf+x(hfg)

The key to this problem is that the mixture enthalpy (h, in the above equation) is the average of the water and steam inlet enthalpies.
That's true but there are nuances in the question that suggest why you average:

1. They are both 100lbm/min (equal parts)

2. They have been "thoroughly mixed."

For example if they were not equal parts then you may instead need to take the enthalpy weighted average based on their mass contributions.

How do you know its saturated steam?  You don't.  In fact, it's not.  If it were saturated steam, the quality of the steam would be 1.  Furthermore, the problem says explicitly that you are withdrawing a mixture of water and steam (i.e. thorough mixing).  Steam quality is explained in the MERM (version 13) in section 23-9 paragraph 17 and 23-13 paragraph 32.

Back