NCEES 2008 Structural PM problem #519

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PEin2010

Reaction score
Where does the equation used for bearing pressure on the rectangular footing, p max = (2/3)*(Ptot / (y * footing width)) come from???? The answer using this is 2.7. y = resultant location.

This example is for eccentric loading on a rectangular foundation. I looked up the relevant chapter in CERM and there is an equation for p max, p max =(P/BL)*(1 + 6* eccentricity/B). If I apply this, the answer is close, 2.36, yet not quite the same.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Thanks.

The equation you used to calculate 2.36 is only for footings where the resultant falls inside the middle third of the footing (i.e. e <= L/6). Since e>L/6 you have to use the equation qmax = (2/3)*(P/Be'). Here e'=(L/2-e)=y. Note that e is the eccentricity wrt the center of the footing.

This is included in Chap 2 of the SERM if you have that.

Good Luck!

agree, there are 3 cases for this eccentric load on footings and SERM clearly explains that, I wonder why CERM didnt show these types of cases.

It's probably considered too advanced a topic to be included into the CERM (you can't have it all) :)

The equation you used to calculate 2.36 is only for footings where the resultant falls inside the middle third of the footing (i.e. e <= L/6). Since e>L/6 you have to use the equation qmax = (2/3)*(P/Be'). Here e'=(L/2-e)=y. Note that e is the eccentricity wrt the center of the footing.
This is included in Chap 2 of the SERM if you have that.

Good Luck!
YAY! I get an answer of 2.91 with that ...which is fairly close to the answer :D

The way they are calculating y in the book is, y = resultant = (Resisting moment - Overturning moment)/P total ---This is why the answer is different. However, I like your method way better! Why to calculate moments when you don't really need to?

Thanks!!!!

Back