NC PE Exam Raleigh

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you read the threads on here where people are actually planning to bring rolling bookshelves to the exam?

I'll probably end up with more than I'll use but nothing that would require bookshelves.
I saw a guy last year that had a double decker cart (http://www.officedepot.com/mb/skupage.do;jsessionid=0000yEtWLqYJRrS8PwQqmixMTW2:17h4h7bfo?skuid=447296) and both shelves were loaded with bankers boxes. There is no reason to bring that much. I had two milk crates and that was it. Milk crates are easy to stack and transport [emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly think it could go either way. I was surprised at the number of qualitative questions vs. calculations. I had to completely guess on two questions and second guessed myself on a few others, going from a correct answer to a likely wrong one, when checking my work.

I have no idea what the outcome will be. I thought it was challenging but pretty fair, and I think for a lot of the qualitative questions there was no way to prepare for them. You either knew them, had a book with the info or had to take a best guess.

How about you? What did you think?

I feel almost the same way. The qualitative questions threw me off my game. I changed correct answers on two to wrong ones ..I spent Saturday pretty much Googling the qualitative questions.

The calculator questions I was able to solve them and find answers but few I couldn't or I thought I knew how to solve those but couldn't find the answer ...maybe my mythology didn't check out.

I must add that perry did help with couple experience based ones even lindenburg with one.

I think I alread know what I need to brush up on to make it through October ..if you don't do well do you plan on taking it in October or April .

Also what books did you use can we please compare our resources

Can we please compare our prep methods ..so I started out with reading Lindenburg ..but you know some of those fluids chapters don't apply to us. So I printed out the FE exam manual only the chapters that related to the six tested topics + engineering Econ. I got my 12 different R values in the binder. Then I basically added to those sections or explained formulas better you know with units. I used that binder to do Ncees and six minutes . Then I brushed up on soichiometry and showed up for the exam i took perrys , crane 410, Cameron hydraulics , cherm , plant design , safety college book, and unit operations with me

I didn't end up using unit operations for anything ...others I did ..all of them for couple questions here n there

I had Perry's, Lindeberg CHERM, USCS Steam tables and a unit conversions book that I used as my main resources. Also had a binder with the slides from the PPI prep class and used that twice and a chemical engineering dictionary that I used a couple of times. The dictionary wasn't that helpful but I used it to quickly look up a couple of things.

Things I didn't use at all but had:

- ASME SI steam tables

- Heat and mass transfer by Incropera

- FE reference manual

If I have to repeat it I'll probably do October. If I wait till April I would need to resubmit all the rec letters again because the state only considers them current if received in the last year.

Hey - let's try and stay positive. Chemical engineering is extremely difficult so repeating the test would not be the end of the world. One of my professors once joked "come on guys, this isn't rocket science... it's far more difficult."

Let's just wait and see. In the meantime I think the preparation has made us better engineers.

The one thing I don't like about ChemE is that there are comparatively so few of us. A local peer group would be great. I'm all for national organizations and alumni groups but they don't take the place of being with other engineers and chemical engineers in particular. Something I haven't had since college. Most of my colleagues at work are mechanical engineers with a couple electricals. I'm the only chemical.

I also had a printed copy of ASME steam tables in my go-to binder but I didn't end up using ASME steam tables . I think Cameron Hydraluics has good steam section.

Heat and mass transfer by incopera is a really good book I think I have an online version of it from university days. I might actually Purchase it. Fe exam manual I did end up using.

So what practice problems did you do?

I hope you do too. For practice problems I did mainly the CHERM practice problems and six minute solutions. And I did the PPI and NCEES practice exams. Waited until last weekend to do the NCEES practice exam but wish I had done it sooner. What about you?

I did six minutes and NCEES, I divided NCEES problems with topics ...in pencil, Fluids, HT, MT, Thermo, MEB, Plant Des & Oper. First I finished six minutes by topic, then I went back and solved NCEES problems in those topics. If I had more time I would have finished the accompanying practice problems with CHERM, but I ran out of time. What PPI exam? Is it a book you can purchase like NCEES exam.

I'm sure you did fine! The waiting is going to kill me though. I was gonna go fishing this weekend (my first free weekend in a while) but the weather didn't cooperate. Thought it would be a good way to get the exam off my mind. Maybe next weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
So today I let my boss know that there were more qualitative questions than I expected. He said I took it to early because I still need 2.5 years of experience to qualify for the license

Latest posts

Back