NC - Allowed Reference Materials

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kari

Reaction score
I am taking the Structural I PE exam this October in North Carolina. While reading through posts on this site and the "other", I have learned that some states have specific rules regarding reference materials. Some do not allow books with solved example problems, some do not allow any pencil marks, some do not allow three ring binders, the list goes on. Does anybody know if any of these restrictions (or others I haven't mentioned) apply in NC? I have been creating three ring binders with my own notes, procedures, example problems, etc. I'd hate to get to the test site and not be able to take these in, or not be able to take the SERM or some of my textbooks in. I have looked at the NC BELS website, and there is hardly any information other than the test is open book and any bound reference material is allowed (hopefully that answers my question). In fact, the website is kind of terrible in general. Thanks for any help!

For NC, you are allowed to bring any material that is bound. This means any books or information that is in 3 ring binders. I emailed the board prior to taking the EE test in April to verify this.

For NC, you are allowed to bring any material that is bound. This means any books or information that is in 3 ring binders. I emailed the board prior to taking the EE test in April to verify this.

I will second this! but please make sure every single page you bring as reference is bound! no loose pages! also as a quick reminder, make sure the calculator you are bringing is on the list, they actually take pages with pictures of the calculator on them, and check every one.

Back