Myths You Were Too Old to Believe

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YMZ PE

Kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Post any myths you thought were true until you should have been old enough to know better, and when/how you found out they weren't true.

One story I heard of was a lady who thought unicorns were real, until the topic came up at a party when she was an adult (after college), and she asked, "Now are unicorns endangered, or extinct?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine was that I thought toothpaste was supposed to be swallowed , not spit out, until I was a teenager. Then I realized I shouldn't mention swallowing vs. spitting, especially in the first post.

I was born into a Buddhist family and was shunned for a time after I accepted Christ as an adult. God's been very good to even through the difficult times. That's all I'll say about that here.

Mine was that I thought toothpaste was supposed to be swallowed , not spit out, until I was a teenager. Then I realized I shouldn't mention swallowing vs. spitting, especially in the first post.

I was born into a Buddhist family and was shunned for a time after I accepted Christ as an adult. God's been very good to even through the difficult times. That's all I'll say about that here.
I'd love to hear your story. For being a myth, Christianity has done fine by me (and several billion other people).

Not really a myth, but I watched some horror movie as a 7-8 yr old and it had something to do with stuff coming out of the toilet and gettting people. For the next several years I would look in the toilet the entire time I was taking care of business.

When I was a kid, we had a German Shepherd named Sandy. Damn, that dog was mean. It once took off after a little fru-fru dog and ... well, I'll spare the gory details, but fru-fru dog did not survive the encounter. Not once Sandy got it by the back of the neck.

So Mom & Dad eventually sent Sandy away to live on a farm.

Then years later I was watching "Friends" where Ross has a crashing realization that his beloved family pet wasn't actually sent away to live on a farm when it got old, but was instead "sent away to live on a farm", if you know what I mean.

:huh:

:eek:hmy:

My mom to this day swears Sandy really did go to live on a farm, but I'm not buying it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
This probably speaks to many of the members on this board:

As a youngster, I watched WWF and got sucked into the sumbitch-hulk'amaniac lore. Like many others... totally thought it was real. I can't remember when exactly, but I was probably around the age of 14 when I decided my sisters were right.

I'd love to hear your story. For being a myth, Christianity has done fine by me (and several billion other people).

Not really a myth, but I watched some horror movie as a 7-8 yr old and it had something to do with stuff coming out of the toilet and gettting people. For the next several years I would look in the toilet the entire time I was taking care of business.

I saw something like that in real life once. I was on a charter bus for some band trip in high school. I was in the bathroom taking a leak when I saw this half eaten cheeseburger emerge from the murky blue depths. That thing freaked me out. I squealed like a little girl.

Sapper said:
alligators in the storm drains... in upstate NY...
That's actually not a myth in Florida, well some places in Florida.
That's why I clarified where I was living... I'm talking upstate NY like FAR upstate NY... and honestly, even to this day, I hate walking over those metal grates in the sidewalks... :)

That's actually not a bad thing to be afraid of. Some of those metal grates cover vaults that have electrical equipment in them. If there's a fault. . . BLAM-O! I've seen pictures of manhole covers blown through cars.

Its not a myth so to speak, but I am not a fan of swimming in lakes or any other open body of water where there is seaweed. My cousin being the douchebag is he told me and sister when we were much younger that the seaweed was alive and would grab you and pull you under. To this day if there are large clumps of seaweed I wont even get in the water.

how does seaweed get into lakes?

There is a myth about growing hair on your hands.....

Back