My Christmas Present to you

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why? It's just a multiple choice test. Getting the paperwork in was a bigger PITA than the test itself IMO.
I can't speak for the quoted poster, but studying for 300 hours, plus for me driving 3 hours, staying in a hotel, sitting in an exam, and keeping enough focus for 8 hours to get the right answers is quite a lot of trouble. :)

Yeah, I'll be quite upset if I have to go through that again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why? It's just a multiple choice test. Getting the paperwork in was a bigger PITA than the test itself IMO.

You sound like my boss...who passed back when it was short answer and the pass rate was 70%...now that it's multiple choice the pass rate is 46%. Looks to me that "just a multiple choice test" is harder that you may think...

I can't speak for the quoted poster, but studying for 300 hours, plus for me driving 3 hours, staying in a hotel, sitting in an exam, and keeping enough focus for 8 hours to get the right answers is quite a lot of trouble. :)

Yeah, I'll be quite upset if I have to go through that again.
I assume your references are still tabbed, and you haven't completely forgotten everything from that 300 hours of studying. 8 hours is pretty generous, plus there's a long lunch break in the middle. That long drive and hotel stay would suck, but the rest shouldn't be that bad.

You sound like my boss...who passed back when it was short answer and the pass rate was 70%...now that it's multiple choice the pass rate is 46%. Looks to me that "just a multiple choice test" is harder that you may think...

Well Said!!! Completely agree with your statement!!!

:rotflmao:

:appl:

The pass rate for first timers, depending on discipline, is in the 60-70% range.

The pass rate for first timers, depending on discipline, is in the 60-70% range.
Well clearly you have not looked at the NCEES pass rates in some time, nowadays the pass rate for the structural test is in the mid 40% range. 46% as of last April.

I think it's great that the Road Guy locked the jokester threads. Y'all have to believe us that you WILL survive taking it again, if that is what it takes. Some of us have taken it many times. I took EIT twice and PE 4 times. I think at least one member took PE 5 times. We're cheering for you.

Well clearly you have not looked at the NCEES pass rates in some time, nowadays the pass rate for the structural test is in the mid 40% range. 46% as of last April.
You're right, until just now I hadn't looked at the NCEES pass rates in about 6 months - and I never paid attention to the numbers for SE-1. Structural is a different animal entirely. Vibes to those who have to take the 16-hour test. Most of the other disciplines fit in to that 60-70% range I gave.

Last edited by a moderator:

You're right, until just now I hadn't looked at the NCEES pass rates in about 6 months - and I never paid attention to the numbers for SE-1. Structural is a different animal entirely. Vibes to those who have to take the 16-hour test. Most of the other disciplines fit in to that 60-70% range I gave.
Which I'll be taking if I don't pass this time around...keeping all my fingers and toes crossed I don't end up having to take that one!

This is from a post from the last time examinees were waiting. A bit of humor to break up the torture. The original I got was between an Architect and Engineer. It was floating around email a few years back. Anyway, I modified this for our current situation.. Enjoy

THE WAIT:

NCEES: You want answers?

ENGINEER: I think I'm entitled to them.

NCEES: You want answers?!

Engineer: I want the truth!

NCEES: You can't HANDLE the truth!!

Son, we live in a world that has an exam administered twice a year.

And that exam has to be sorted, graded, compiled, emailed and in some states even MAILED! Who's gonna sort through those results while fielding calls from impatient ENGINEERS? You? You, MR. Examinee? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom.

You weep for LOST WEEKENDS and you curse the delay in processing.

You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that THOSE EXAMS, while tricky, probably saved lives.

And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...

You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't post about on EB.com, you WANT me on that Board.

You NEED me on that Board.

You use words like DESIGN, CODE, ANALYSIS...

you use these words as the backbone to a life spent providing Engineering to the Public.

I use 'em as a punchline at the water-cooler.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain my delay to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very licensure process which I provide,

then questions the manner in which I provide it!

I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way.

Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a a calculator and NCEES study guide and start preparing for the Re-EXAM.

Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

NCEES: Did you take the pencil from the exam room, AND call 10 times for results since Junce 1st?

Engineer: (quietly) I took the exam you administered.

NCEES: Did you take the PENCIL from the EXAM ROOM and call 10 times for results since June 1st?!!

Engineer: You're goddamn right I did!

THE END

Back