Motorcycle Riders

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slickeng

Reaction score
Considering getting a motorcycle (mid-life crisis?). How many have em and ride em? Any suggestions? Thinking about a Harley 883 sprotster.

2001 FLSTF

IMG_3938.jpg

I like the larger cruisers myself. The center of gravity on the bigger bikes is lower. It's all personal preference but I've always thought the Sportster is a little top-heavy.

I daily ride a Honda VTX 1300 to and from work and everywhere in between. It's an amazing value. I added saddle bags to the sides and back which are large enough to pick up groceries OR carry everything to go motorcycle camping. If you aren't too brand specific, highly recommend checking them out. (Although I get the HD thing. My next ride is going to be a Street Glide.)

If it's your first bike, buy a cheap one to learn on. You have to learn how to ride before buying something that is expensive. I bought an old suzuki for less than a thousand and learned to ride, then I moved up. You will lay it down, so you might as well be able to live with the scratches.

I think the easiest bikes to learn on are the dual sport variety.

You can find pretty nice DRZ 400S or SM versions for around $3500 used or here are the top picks from new bikes:

Husqvarna TE450 or TE510

KTM EXC450 or EXC525 each will run you about $8,000 or more.

Or if you have bunches of money BMW makes a really nice bike........for $12,000.

I hear Beta also makes a nice DOT approved bike.

Most of the versions I have listed above are also available in supermotard trim (SM) basically that means that they have smaller front rims and street only tires.

Here is a pic of a dual sport KTM EXC 450

ngnrd said:
I've been wanting to get a Triumph Rocket-III for a while now. But I wouldn't recommend that bike to just anybody.
2300cc's is far from a beginner bike. :) I was considering it for my next ride, but decided that it looks too much like a crotch rocket instead of the cruiser styling I prefer.

Lots of great advice here, consider the Harley like learning to drive in a Cadillac, big, hard to handle but comfy. I agree buy a used bike, if you get like a Honda 650 or Kawi 650 you can easy get your money back, I had the Suzuki 400, great bike and great to learn on. I now ride a Suzuki DL 1000, best on the road. Once you ride a while decide what kind of riding you like to do then choose a bike for that purpose.

Considering getting a motorcycle (mid-life crisis?). How many have em and ride em? Any suggestions? Thinking about a Harley 883 sprotster.
chick bike. I had a 1L Sporty ('83), and even rebuilt, you could sure feel the difference riding two up. For less $$ than any harley, you could easily get into any Japanese genre you'd want - Sport, standard, cruiser, touring, etc. - My first bike was a Yamaha 650, inline-4 (w/ 4 carbs) & shaft drive (vs. v-twin w/ single carb, chain drive). that thing could run rings around my Sportster, and it was a great bike to cut your teeth on. Biggest bike I ever rode was an 1800 Suzuki (v-twin). My ultimate wish would be like a Triumph Bonneville (i like the standard genre i guess). Plus I'd love to ride on a sport bike, at least once.

I'm taking a solo cross country trip on my bike---6,500 miles, 25 states, 17 days. (Route here if anyone is interested.)

I'm planning to scoot across the I-40 as fast as possible. That's the longest stretch of road, and also the least interesting to me. After that I'm averaging 350mi/day. I hope to find interesting places that aren't too touristy to explore for a day then a 700mi trip the next day. Rinse repeat. Traveling extremely light--tent, bag, bed roll, 2 changes of clothes, and a Ziploc bag of necessaries. Everything else is staying home.

Current plan is to use a camp to hotel ratio as close to 2:1 as possible. Being outside is a big part of riding for me, but I also appreciate hot showers and clean laundry. :)

I've installed a cigarette lighter to keep GPS and phone charge. And will mount a CamelBak on the front fork off of the triple tree tomorrow in case I break down in the west.

Has anyone else made one of these trips before? Any advice you can offer?

If Harley made a plane, would you fly in it?

Get a used Kawi, they are relatively cheap and very resilient.

I recently got rid of my ZX-11. Bike always started and never had any problems.

And TAKE A LESSON. It will save your life.

I'm taking a solo cross country trip on my bike---6,500 miles, 25 states, 17 days. (Route here if anyone is interested.)
I'm planning to scoot across the I-40 as fast as possible. That's the longest stretch of road, and also the least interesting to me. After that I'm averaging 350mi/day. I hope to find interesting places that aren't too touristy to explore for a day then a 700mi trip the next day. Rinse repeat. Traveling extremely light--tent, bag, bed roll, 2 changes of clothes, and a Ziploc bag of necessaries. Everything else is staying home.

Current plan is to use a camp to hotel ratio as close to 2:1 as possible. Being outside is a big part of riding for me, but I also appreciate hot showers and clean laundry. :)

I've installed a cigarette lighter to keep GPS and phone charge. And will mount a CamelBak on the front fork off of the triple tree tomorrow in case I break down in the west.

Has anyone else made one of these trips before? Any advice you can offer?

I'm jealous, sounds like a great time. What's a Camelbak? Water vessel?

Back