more CPM problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
I found these problems in an old textbook, but I dont have the answers

problems 2 & 4 are probably some good ones for us to work on..

I cant ever work these without drawing the ES,EF,LS,LF boxes....

CPM.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hang on...do not delete... I wont get to them until tomorrow...(too busy trying to remember the crap i forgot in Geotech, stupid doubly drained soils...)

I feel like a complete idiot with the critical path methods.

I've never had them in school, or anywhere, and it's VERY foreign to me

(sadly, I set my projects construction time limits up based upon how much $$ we have in the inspection end of the contract)

Problem No.2

The duration is 23 days,

The Critical Path is 1--->3--->5--->6

Problem No.4.

The duration is 22 days.

The Critical Path is 1--->2--->3--->4--->6

Activity B can be delayed one day without delaying the completion of the project.

I found some material talking about this part, it is easier to understand and well explained comparing to CERM. They only use two squares rather than four for Earlier Event and Latest Event. Much better approach.

:true:

Last edited:
Road Guy, I dont remeber the link to this powerpoint presentation. But I did download it. How to post a file here? The presentation really make this CPM thing easy. It wont take long to go through it.

if you want to email it to me I can get it posted (or at least print it out and put it in my notes :D )

[email protected]

do you recall the name of the file? what you searched for?

the only way I can do these is to draw the boxes in. I think i got lost on the second one (the bottom one is problem #4) can someone tell me where I f'd up at?

I got into the same kind of mess with 4 boxes approach. With that approach I couldn't solve either of the problem. With 2 boxes (Earliest Event, Latest Event) I don't have this kind of problem. It is much clearer. All we need to do is to find the Critical Path and the duration of the project. So I take the easier way.

Last edited:
yeah I found the answer a lot easier using the 2 box method. thanks for the info, I will try and get it posted sometime after the exam :cig:

bumping this part about the 2 box method, it actually came in handy for me this go round

Definitely - note to all taking the exam - learn this stuff as it will be there and it is fairly low hanging stuff.

Problem No.4
The duration is 22 days.

The Critical Path is 1--->2--->3--->4--->6

Activity B can be delayed one day without delaying the completion of the project.

I got 22 days for project duration: 0 + 8 + 3 + 6 + 5 = 22 days

bump

ktulu

I could not read the scan....

Read through this thread reminds me of two months ago how we were struggling together. I am so glad to hear that this two boxes approach to get CPM benefited so many. Road Guy, I remeber sending you the e-mail coz I didn't know how to post a file on the old board. Well, I think you did the right thing to bump this topic up so that more new comers can benefit from this.

:(How come my New Year 2007 picture next to my name disappeared?

Last edited:
Back