Mechanical exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
actually let me start with this question, does anyone here work in Nuclear Energy industry?
Kiewit Power has a team of engineers who specialize in nuclear energy but they haven't won a major project ($500M+) in years because of the downturn in the industry.  A smaller company would have laid off the entire team, but Kiewit plays the long game.  The nuclear industry will likely come back someday and we want to be prepared.  It's not a desirable market to specialize in at the moment, but like you said the demand will be there in the future.

Kiewit Power has a team of engineers who specialize in nuclear energy but they haven't won a major project ($500M+) in years because of the downturn in the industry.  A smaller company would have laid off the entire team, but Kiewit plays the long game.  The nuclear industry will likely come back someday and we want to be prepared.  It's not a desirable market to specialize in at the moment, but like you said the demand will be there in the future.
I just applied for a position at Kiewit.  I work in the O&G industry (I design steam turbines for Dresser-Rand/Siemens)

I just applied for a position at Kiewit.  I work in the O&G industry (I design steam turbines for Dresser-Rand/Siemens)
From your profile, it looks like you are from Iowa. Didn't know that my Iowa has jobs in O&G industry.

As far as I know we have the steam turbine plant that I work at and then in Des Moines there is a company that makes controllers that rival the Woodward Governor/Overspeed products.  Our equipment is used in many applications, anytime there is extra steam there is opportunity for us.  But for the API market we usually drive pumps and compressors. 

As far as I know we have the steam turbine plant that I work at and then in Des Moines there is a company that makes controllers that rival the Woodward Governor/Overspeed products.  Our equipment is used in many applications, anytime there is extra steam there is opportunity for us.  But for the API market we usually drive pumps and compressors. 
I worked in woodward for an year, but it was in their aerospace division, so probably didn't come to know about their (industrial side) competitor located in a neighboring state...learnt something new...thank you!

I worked in woodward for an year, but it was in their aerospace division, so probably didn't come to know about their (industrial side) competitor located in a neighboring state...learnt something new...thank you!
https://www.cccglobal.com/locations

I recently had a project with Phillips 66 and I think they may only use CCC.  That could have just been that site though. 

Thanks man. Wild ride this summer, am I right? Pretty nervous hitting that last refresh on NCEES...
Yep but we did it! Feels great doesn't it?! You had the fortunate experience of going one more weekend without the official word as well ?

I passed HVAC and Refrig. first time. Studied since labor day, probably 240+ hours going hard every day of the week. I must say that I tried to solve way too many MERM problems. Spent needless time studying statics and some materials stuff early on and wasted like 2-3 weeks in the process. 6 minute solutions was critical to my success!

For future HVAC & Refrigeration examinees; I think I have a blueprint for success. Don't waste your time bogging down in merm! Focus on 6 minute solutions, practice exams, and MERM's Fluids, Thermo (minus combustion stuff; not helpful for exam though enriching), and HVAC section; finally bring ASHRAE handbooks! All of them and be familiar with them! Also take PPI's practice exam. It is mega hard but will get you in shape for passing. You will pass if you do well at nailing those topics. Don't spend a lot of time on other MERM topics many of which you probably did not cover in your undergrad classes.

I'm better at self-studying and usually find that more productive than classes for me. If you are a class person by all means. If you are a self-study person, follow the blueprint above.

I passed HVAC and Refrig. first time. Studied since labor day, probably 240+ hours going hard every day of the week. I must say that I tried to solve way too many MERM problems. Spent needless time studying statics and some materials stuff early on and wasted like 2-3 weeks in the process. 6 minute solutions was critical to my success!

For future HVAC & Refrigeration examinees; I think I have a blueprint for success. Don't waste your time bogging down in merm! Focus on 6 minute solutions, practice exams, and MERM's Fluids, Thermo (minus combustion stuff; not helpful for exam though enriching), and HVAC section; finally bring ASHRAE handbooks! All of them and be familiar with them! Also take PPI's practice exam. It is mega hard but will get you in shape for passing. You will pass if you do well at nailing those topics. Don't spend a lot of time on other MERM topics many of which you probably did not cover in your undergrad classes.

I'm better at self-studying and usually find that more productive than classes for me. If you are a class person by all means. If you are a self-study person, follow the blueprint above.
I agree that the MERM has entirely too much information. Thank goodness fluids/thermo is early in the merm, because I bogged down in it but it was early enough that I thought I could just plow through it, but by the time I got to heat transfer I was about to throw the thing out the window. I really struggled and eventually signed up for the school of PE class, I took the NCEES practice exam before the course and got about a 60-65% on it. After the course I was really comfortable with that test and tried the PPI practice test and got hammered again in that 60-65% realm. I worked PPI, NCEES, and 6-minute solutions entirely and all of the extra problems from the school of PE course. I think my total study time was in the 170ish range and 70 or so of that was the course. I also have the cameron hydraulic data book and I'd say for people doing fluids it's a MUST, get it early and use it. It has fantastic examples with good details on basically all pumping related questions. 

I brought the school of PE binder, the MERM, Merm quick reference, and the cameron book. I used all of my resources and didn't really want for anything else. 

I did the fluids exam and have never even heard of the Cameron Hydraulic data book.  I have no idea how helpful it would be, but looking at a TOC for it http://www.flowserve.com/vgnfiles/Files/Literature/FPD/cameron_toc.pdf, I don't see anything in there particularly different from what is covered in the MERM.
I took MD depth (and wouldn't use it for my current job), but for my studies on Fluids what sold me on that book was the tabulated head losses for standard pipes and flow rates. Literally a problem that would take 5-10 minutes to lookup/calculate/convert friction factors turns into a single table lookup. Time saver.

Piece of advice: If you get it, don't get the FlowServe version (new version). Shitty quality. It's like someone scanned the pages from the Ingersol Rand copy and printed through a 1998 deskjet. And the book binding is heavy so doesn't sit flat when opened. You have to keep it open with a paper weight.

Get a used copy of the Ingersol Rand version (17th Ed?) on Amazon. It's cheaper and much better quality. You don't get the FlowServe color pump brochure in the back but that didn't bother me.

Another option: other people swear by the Crane TP-410 manual. Pricier though.

The head loss and NPSHA equations/examples are great. It's hard to go into too much detail about why I found the book particularly valuable without breaking some disclosure rules. 

The head loss and NPSHA equations/examples are great. It's hard to go into too much detail about why I found the book particularly valuable without breaking some disclosure rules. 
No need to explain to a fellow who recently took it.  ;)

Back