Mechanical Engineering Technology student here, freaking out.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to sound pompous, but I really know a hell of a lot.
This statement alone tells me you have allot to learn my friend.

Tim
+1

You don't know that you don't know until you find out that you don't know.

If you are under the impression that you know, then you haven't reached the step of finding out that you don't know.

You have a long road ahead.

Tim
+1

If you are under the impression that you know, then you haven't reached the step of finding out that you don't know.

Oh. I know I still have a lot to learn.....trust me. I go to the library a lot and get reminded how little I actually know.

Tim
+1

like-where-this-thread-is-going_jpg.jpg

as for stats classes, we have to take one as well for the mechanicals at least.
Calculus based prob and stats? Which text did they use? I am also interested in which school this is. It sounds like they expect a lot from their METs and EETs.

It's amazing you're an expert in everything. I'm aware there are people like that. Usually they don't come out and declare themselves such, but heck, everyone's different. We look forward to seeing you answer questions on all these subjects and taking problems from various posters to put that expertise to use.

Addendum - BTW, I'm not being entirely facetious. I know there are people who have a knack for a lot of technical stuff, and they may be METs or MEs, or not have any degree at all. So if you really have that kind of aptitude you should put it to use helping out people studying for exams, or trying to solve work problems or school problems here on the website and elsewhere, rather than just talking about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
as for stats classes, we have to take one as well for the mechanicals at least.
Calculus based prob and stats? Which text did they use? I am also interested in which school this is. It sounds like they expect a lot from their METs and EETs.

It's amazing you're an expert in everything. I'm aware there are people like that. Usually they don't come out and declare themselves such, but heck, everyone's different. We look forward to seeing you answer questions on all these subjects and taking problems from various posters to put that expertise to use.

Addendum - BTW, I'm not being entirely facetious. I know there are people who have a knack for a lot of technical stuff, and they may be METs or MEs, or not have any degree at all. So if you really have that kind of aptitude you should put it to use helping out people studying for exams, or trying to solve work problems or school problems here on the website and elsewhere, rather than just talking about it.
Not sure if it's calculus based. I think it's a stats class that's more geared to quality control in manufacturing though....

But yeah. Here are a few links to a few great projects I've seen come out of the program:

This is for the hydrogen prototype powered car:

http://cot-linux.tech.uh.edu/~dlbockov/element1/index.html

This is the first semester report for Team vortex:

http://cot-linux.tech.uh.edu/~nbarroso/_fi...rt_Fall2009.pdf

This type of report is expected from every Capstone design group at the end of their first semester.

Their main site is here:

http://cot-linux.tech.uh.edu/~nbarroso/index.html

Senior design is probably one of the most stressful and brutal year of this program......they expect so much from us.

They want us to:

Design and fabricate something,

Go to 6 PDHs (Professional Development Hours) through ASME or IEEE or some other professional engineering organization,

Have a faculty adviser,

An industry adviser,

Sponsors for you to build these projects,

One undergraduate lower classman to help with your work,

As well as 3 professional attire presentations of what/where/how your project is/doing, then you get about 30 minutes of questions for your classmates and professors to tear your design work apart....

Oh. I know I still have a lot to learn.....trust me. I go to the library a lot and get reminded how little I actually know.
I don't trust you. I think you do know everything about ME. :rolleyes:
Know everything? Darn you internet for not allowing me to hear your tone of voice and figure out what emotion you're trying to convey......not sure if you're trying to be sarcastic. Ahaha

Looks impressive. I'll take a look at the University programs.

It doesn't look to me like you really have any questions for anyone. You came on, ostensibly concered about how your program would be viewed, and when people gave you their honest opinions you discounted those you didn't like and basically proceeded to brag about yourself. Sorry, that's how you come across, at least to me. Making a disclaimer that "I don't mean to boast" doesn't work like Boolean logic and negate the subsequent boast. So it doesn't appear you really lack for confidence in your degree or your ability.

But that doesn't matter here. If you really have all the techincal chops you cliam, you should be participating in the exam fora above - where people come with serious questions to help them study.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks impressive. I'll take a look at the University programs.
It doesn't look to me like you really have any questions for anyone. You came on, ostensibly concered about how your program would be viewed, and when people gave you their honest opinions you discounted those you didn't like and basically proceeded to brag about yourself. Sorry, that's how you come across, at least to me. Making a disclaimer that "I don't mean to boast" doesn't work like Boolean logic and negate the subsequent boast. So it doesn't appear you really lack for confidence in your degree or your ability.

But that doesn't matter here. If you really have all the techincal chops you cliam, you should be participating in the exam fora above - where people come with serious questions to help them study.
In all honesty, I don't worry about what I know. It's just what worries me is how people will look at my degree and profile me a certain wait....I'm proud of what I've done, yes, but I came here wondering what others would have to say, more than to have one specific question. Sorry if I clogged up the board or what not....

=[

Hi everyone,
I'm entering my 4th year right now as a Mechanical Engineering Technology Major with a minor in Computer Engineering Technology and Mathematics at my university. After this semester I'd only have two more semesters to go, and my senior capstone project to complete.

Yet, lately I've been freaking out about the future, and weather my degree will get me where I want to go. I recently tried to ask for permission to go to the Engineering Career fair at my school, and they replied back saying that they wouldn't let me go because I'm not an engineering student, I'm a technologist. I replied back that in my state people in my degree can take the FE and work as EITs to get their PE, but she told me that I would be wasting the time of the employers there. [PS. I'm still gonna go, I registered online, and it let me through, so I'm still gonna try and get in!] So it's reached the point to where I'm freaking out about how I will be viewed when I graduate, because if I won't be viewed as an engineer, like they told me I would when I went to advising before switching in to this major, I'm gonna change my major...

I have friends who tell me that I'll be fine getting into an engineering grad program cause I have research under my belt. Such as I work at the superconductivity center at my university now, and I've designed several devices and written a lot of code for equipment for grad students to do their work. I also worked in a tissue engineering lab for a year, and designed, built, and nearly finished programming/interfacing a growth and remodeling device for blood vessels.

Still. I'm worried about what people will think of me, and what preconceptions they will have about my skills based on the 10 letter word that is at the end of my degree. I'm worried sick, and willing to move to into a different major, just to be considered an engineer. I have a friend telling me it's just a degree, and that I'll be fine. So I don't know who to ask, or talk to about any of this. He told me that I'm probably one of the best engineers he's met, but I'm not sure if that's true or if I'll be viewed this way.

I know this probably sounds whiny, but I'm freaking out.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew
You could be more.limited initially at larger corporations due to less flexibility in the requirements of what is an engineer. Also, very large companies may not place as much emphasis on whether you have a PE or not as they often don' work directly for the public. My opinion on what I have seen at least. Best of luck with whatever you chose.

Before changing your major, do a cost benefit analysis. If you did change majors, how long would it take, how many classes do you need, and how much will it cost? If any of those three is significant, its not worth it. If the big reason you want to switch is so you can become a PE, let me tell you that in some engineering fields, a PE isn't a deal breaker or even a requirement. In a few years, your degree will just be a piece of paper on the wall and your experience will trump everything else.
The MET is an excellent degree. What school are you at? Often, recruiters and HR and managers look more at WHERE you went than WHAT degree you got. Some only care about the GPA. A lot of places are much more into the politics and then it's anybody's guess.

#1 Do you like MET vs. ME?

#2 What's your goal? If your goal is to get EIT and PE, then the ME is an easier path. If you are interested in more hands on work like building fuel efficient cars, then the MET may be better.

I think that I would look at dropping the minors and changing to ME. Will that change your timeframe? Can you double in ME & MET? I've discovered that my minor is about as important as what socks I wear.

#3 What's the difference between MET and ME at your school? When I was an undergrad EE student, I wanted to switch to EET. I talked to the EET chair. He looked at my math classes and grades and told me that he would deny me to switch. He told me that if I can do the math for the EE to stay there. I did, and have not regretted it.

You said you would do graduate school for "actual" engineering. The PE doesn't consider a Masters to count for anything other than 1-year of experience (YMMV per state).

Someone said that you only use 50% of what you learn in school. It may vary from 5% to 50%, depending on what job/career you take. I've discovered that 80% of jobs/careers are not known until you find one. I "fell" into my current 13+ year career - I didn't know about it when I was in school.

"What should I do?" is a similar question to "What are tomorrow's lotto numbers?"

Engineering (and Technology) is (or one of) the most flexible degrees out there. It can take you down many paths that you don't even know about. It's less about WHAT you learn than HOW you learn. School teaches you HOW to learn.

Latest posts

Back