Masters Electrician Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ritchie503

Reaction score
Even before I took/passed the PE exam in April (by like 2 years), work has been after me to take the Minnesota Class A Master Electrician Exam... but now they are really hounding me about it. It would be nice to get it done before the exam is updated for the next code cycle (2008 NEC) which MN won't adopt until July 1st of 2008 at the earliest. I work for a contractor and to hold a contractors license in MN, you need a Master... and our 75 year old owner doesn't want to keep doing the 16 CE hours every other year for his license (No one else above me has it or will put in the time). I told my boss if I pass its not automatic that they can use my Master license, but that its negotiable. Any ideas on what would be fair to use it? (Since they didn't really do anything for my PE license I am going to make sure they make up for that too).

So here I go, just after I was enjoying not studying for an exam here I go again - I just had to vent. Who knows, maybe someday I will even become motivated to become LEED certified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't even worry about it. If you passed the PE this will be a cake walk. I took the Mater electrician exam in Colorado and it was pretty easy. I can only speak for the Colorado exam, but if you know your way around the code book then you shouldn't have any problems. The calculations are nothing compared to the PE exam (basic math). I took it over 6 years ago so I don't know if they have changed the format or not, but back then it was about 60% code questions and 40% easy calculations. Good Luck!

In the last few years they made some large changes to our exam here from where I hear. I am not going to put in nearly as much effort into this exam as I did for the PE... hopefully I pass otherwise I will be taking it again (6 month wait). I have heard that the master's is mainly calculations, which is good news (I guess the jorneyman's exam is more code lookup based).

I did apply for the exam today actually.. I am currently taking a review class for it now, which goes through April... I will probably attempt the exam in late April or early May.

Back