Mass Transfer Topic

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going through sample test 2 and reached question 25 what a bear, I definitly want this one in my notes but would something like this really be on the exam, the solution was almost an entire page and it took me like over an hour even looking at the solution to reason through it. Sorry I hope this is not irritating anyone for me to ask such questions on this forum. I used to be really good at these tank drain questions but for whatever reason was not seeing some of the subsitutions like sub ing m*C for mk in the derivitive and then using the chain rule, maybe I just need to change how I write the in - out = accumulation equations so I can see the math/substitutions.

I found the six minute solutions to be much more involved and difficult than what was found on the actual test.

What is Das I dont believe I have that book, what is the ISBN? I still have about 2 months and while I am waiting for it in the mail I have the 6 min solutions 100 questions to work through, if I dont have Das by now do you think it would be futile to order it now and maybe I should only order it if I fail this one?
i didn't have Das and passed. You have alot of references already. Unless you really want to spend the money, I'd wait to see. Mighjt want to check out a library to see if they have the book.

Yea I am almost done with Nandagopal and will start on 6 min solutions soon. I have been getting faster at getting problems done and then hit problems like #25 on test 2 lol. I think after doing 6 min solutions I should be good to go and I will take my stack of papers and solve them out nicer showing more steps to bring in to the test with me. The more problems I go through and do the more comfortable I become.

One of my friends passed with only the ChERM and Perry's. I got Das for my third try because I wanted to shake up my whole way of studying. The book is called "PE Exam Preparation Chemical Engineering PE License Review", Third Edition, by Das and Prabhudesai. I agree with snickerd. Sounds like you have alot of books to practice on. So you may/may not have time to get to the Das problems.

Could you offer me some insight into #76 on practice exam 2 of nandagopal, why cant you just do Q = mcpdT to get the total heat required and then use phycometric tables to get the BTU difference and air density, it looks like some hand waving in the solutions to #76. Maybe I am missing something fundamental? 76 feeds 77 so I am just going to skip to 78 and finsh up this book until I hear from you.

Last edited:
No you get something close to a wrong answer choise, its definitly in the ball park but not the rigth answer also im not sure what they mean when they say make up water as its not stated in the problem should I just assume there is make up water in an evaporative cooling tower? I have also started looking through the 6 min solutions book and these problems look like way longer than 6 min, I assume its good to do the problems anyway for the practice but im thinking about going through and doing the problems that im weak on for the practice first and going back to topics I am stronger on if there is time before the exam. I think I am going to solve out neatly the nandagopal and NCEES practice problems or just have the binding chopped and 3 hole punch them and maybe anotate the solutions so im not doing a complete re write of the solutions. Once I finish the 6 min solutions book I will have done every possible practice problem I can including 90% of the problems out of the thicker practice problems book that came with the chemical engineering reference manual so wish me luck, I have 6 weekend left and will undoubitly be on here asking about some crazy question in the 6 min solution book lol. I honestly cant wait for this test to be over, pass or fail after the EIT I did not really even watch the mail as long as the dance is done lol.

Last edited:
That's probably why you cannot use Q=mcpdT. But it seems like they did. Isn't h=cpdT? Quite honestly, I don't know.

It seems like it's more of a mass balance problem. That type of problem was the type of problem that I tried to understand, but in the end, I really didn't get, so I drew a picture and wrote the solution neatly, and hoped that it wouldn't show up on the exam.

I'm sorry I cannot offer more help on this one. Snickerd? Jregieng? any insight on this one?

Latest posts

Back