Mass PE requirements

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dano_PE

Senior Engineer
Reaction score
I am looking to cross reference my Maine PE to Mass and am wondering if qualifying experience in Mass as an engineer needs to be ALL under the direct supervision of a PE or not?

Most of my experience is by my last 1.5 yrs will not be under a PE (I need 8 yrs per Technology degree).

Thanks.

The best answer to any state specific question is go to the state board's website and read the state specific regulations that list the requirements. If it's still not clear then call the board office directly and ask.

Here is the MA board site and there is a link to the Statutes and Regulations.

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/licensee/dpl-boards/en/

That being said I 99% sure that in order to apply for comity in MA the applicant needs to have an NCEES record. If you don't have one, you should start the process as getting a record could take a while.

Mass State board sent me to professional credential services who sent me to NCEES. NCEES sent me back to state board.

ughh

NCEES said I need to be a Model Law Engineer. NCEES said technology ABET programs are not Model Law. In reading about the model law engineer it appears Technology degrees DO fit into there.

Is anyone with me on that? Real clean cut rules and regs!!

Well, as I see it, if you want ot apply by comity you need to satisfy NCEES. The alternative is to apply and take the necessary exams in MA (as if you were getting a new registration and not relying on the ME PE at all) in which case you need to satisfy PCS because they handle the new applications for MA.

They sent you to the right places, it sounds like you don't want to hear their answers. Good luck with it.

And IMHO, the regulations are pretty specific about the requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as I see it, if you want ot apply by comity you need to satisfy NCEES. The alternative is to apply and take the necessary exams in MA (as if you were getting a new registration and not relying on the ME PE at all) in which case you need to satisfy PCS because they handle the new applications for MA.

They sent you to the right places, it sounds like you don't want to hear their answers. Good luck with it.

And IMHO, the regulations are pretty specific about the requirements.

I will research the NCEES model law as well as the PCS requirements tonight. It appears I meet the model law, in which case I am all set. It looks like I need to get this started with NCEES. Thanks for the help.

Back