Maryland Exam Information

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may get deleted but one comment on an NCEES facebook post claims he was one of 38 at a test site to get booted for a fitbit. Obviously can't verify but it seems like this was a huge issue this test cycle.

24 minutes ago, snickerd3 said: Mac- how far along into to the test did they see your fitbit thing?  
Only an hour.
Does that make it better than the folks who made it 7?

Talk about an epic disaster on all fronts.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

no it doesn't make it better, I was just curious how long it took proctors to make the decision.   I'd personally be more pissed about them waiting until the test was almost over because there could have been people finished early and got out before they went around looking

In a way. On the other hand, the folks who made it seven have now essentially seen the entire exam and I have not. I think it's pretty equally crappy for all of us.

Just read the Facebook posts on their account.... dang... getting deep quick. It's definitely a major cluster!

is maryland a ncees proctor or 3rd party proctor state?
3rd party - PCS. 

I also just found that that Maryland Department of Licensing - back in Nov. 2013 - requested that NCEES grade the exams of people who were dismissed due to pencil notes in reference materials because of lack of proper notification. 

This really, really could get interesting.... 

e59443e738d68c99708c5fbbf7885154.jpg

They certainly were old. haha. There was one that I distinctly remember thinking - what if he had a heart attack during the exam!!?? - would all of our results been invalidated. 
No.  They just bring in EMS while you continue to take the exam...

If the candidate agreement that you signed immediately prior to the exam specifically stated that fitness trackers are not allowed, then I think that there isn't much recourse.  Bummer.

3rd party - PCS. 

I also just found that that Maryland Department of Licensing - back in Nov. 2013 - requested that NCEES grade the exams of people who were dismissed due to pencil notes in reference materials because of lack of proper notification. 

This really, really could get interesting.... 
Fight the good fight, sir. I'd get on the horn ASAP to the Maryland Board. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't sound like much can be done about this past exam administration (albeit some slaps on the proverbial wrist).  But I don't think any bans for future testing cycles should be imposed on those that were dismissed specifically for Fitbit (or equiv.) infringements.  Primarily based on the fact that there were extreme enforcement inconsistency issues across the April testing cycle.  As unfortunate as it was for those that were in fact dismissed, hopefully this will be a learning exercise for both sides.  And more importantly, just leave all electronic devices (whether or not they are covered by the agreement) behind before entering the examination room except for these (or similar):

41W-uVPcsoL._SY300_.jpg

36xII_lrg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It may get deleted but one comment on an NCEES facebook post claims he was one of 38 at a test site to get booted for a fitbit. Obviously can't verify but it seems like this was a huge issue this test cycle.
Looks like he was from Maryland as well...

It doesn't sound like much can be done about this past exam administration (albeit some slaps on the proverbial wrist).  But I don't think any bans for future testing cycles should be imposed on those that were dismissed specifically for Fitbit (or equiv.) infringements.  Primarily based on the fact that there were extreme enforcement inconsistency issues across the April testing cycle.  As unfortunate as it was for those that were in fact dismissed, hopefully this will be a learning exercise for both sides.  And more importantly, just leave all electronic devices (whether or not they are covered by the agreement) behind before entering the examination room except for these (or similar):

41W-uVPcsoL._SY300_.jpg

36xII_lrg.jpg
Perhaps along with sweatshirts with no hood, this site should proffer some watches with no electronics.  Maybe even the approved calculators. :B

I've come to terms with it... I'm partly to blame as well. 

Take two months off - focus on October - everything will be all right. 
Way to stay positive, Andrew. I was in your EET class, and so so sorry to hear this. Nazrul will help you get back up to speed before the October exam. You've got this! 

Back