Machine Design & Materials Oct 2018

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand having confidence in your answers.  But there are quite a lot of traps to fall into on these exams.  With the time constraints, I think it is fairly easy to pick a "gotcha" answer.  That's why i think it is absurd to "know" what percentage of questions you got right before you get your results.

Also, i kept track of time zero times during this exam.  I worked the problems that I knew how to work, and moved on from problems that were out of my lane until later.  Then went back and tried them again.

If i were keeping track of past problems and bean counting, plus keeping a timer in my head for 8 hours, I would have gone insane by lunch time.
I whole heartedly agree with everything that monty01 said. 

Got my fingers crossed they release the results by Friday of this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
The exam was fairly difficult. Based on past surveys, I think a 50 would be a pass this time.  And yeah, I am confident there were at least a three questions with errors!

I wouldn't bet on that.
I wouldn't either.  But i'm not concerned with the test anymore, I saw the green PASS box earlier.  Actually, I am still concerned with the test.  I'd like to know which ones I got wrong for my own knowledge.   Wish there was a way to know.  

Audi, What would be the recourse path be to challenge NCEES on a question in general? Unless I am missing a process that was described to me previously, it seems that NCEES has the deck stacked in their favor against challenging them. One would have to remember the full question details for all questions that thought incorrect as one cannot write or replicate any test questions. Also, as Monty noted, we never see solutions.

This is mostly academic, though I did feel that 1-2 questions were off. Not looking to challenge personally, especially if I pass (lol).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah!! Results from the October 2018 pencil-and-paper PE exams have been released to NCEES member licensing boards. SE exam results will be released as soon as they are finalized.

/monthly_2018_12/large.529373336_P)Eresultsannouncements.jpg.3404ed99ce6db6baa0aaae898eac8f66.jpg

I wouldn't either.  But i'm not concerned with the test anymore, I saw the green PASS box earlier.  Actually, I am still concerned with the test.  I'd like to know which ones I got wrong for my own knowledge.   Wish there was a way to know.  
Congrats! Still waiting on results in California. Will check again tomorrow.

Good luck, man!  It was a grind.
I got the green box as well. Still feel like I got lucky. For those that end up not passing, all I could suggest is problems, problems, problems. Also, don't go into the intense specifics. Avoid specialized subjects like fracture mechanics, reliability equations, surface fatigue, gear tooth stress analysis, planet dynamics, moving reference frames, etc. Know the basics of all the shigley, statics, and dynamics, but don't get overwhelmed by delving into deep specifics. They don't test you on that. It's more of a breadth test. Being 8 years out of school, I spent most all of my time re-learning the concepts and felt like I ran out of time on practicing problems. If your efficient at the problems and know the first few sections of every chapter in Shigley, Statics, and Dynamics, you will pass.

After each PE exam, I conduct a survey to gather recommendations for future test takers.  Once you receive your results, please share your thoughts on the link below.

[SIZE=10pt]October [/SIZE] 2018 Machine Design & Materials Results Survey:[SIZE=10pt] https://goo.gl/forms/uN7dRaVq6SYtJWG53[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Justin;[/SIZE]

For Mechanical MDM in October 2018, what is the highest failing score you heard so far?

Passed! Thanks to EB for all the support.

Will be posting lessons learned soon.
Way to go!  Looking forward to those lessons learned.  I'll probably add to it in hopes of helping others who might be taking on this beast in April.

Back