Machine Design & Materials Oct 2018

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I highly recommend the DTC course but you're going to have to supplement it with other sources. Read my recent post, it's long but I hope it saves you the headache of having to take the exam more than once like I did.

Good luck to you !

Yeah, reviewing my options. 

Anyone taken the NSPE Mech MDM course here and care to give a review?

http://pereviewcourse.com/mechanical-pe-review/
I do not recommend the NSPE/MGI/Cognistar review course. All you get are a couple binders with so-so notes, you work on practice problems and exams, then you send them in for grading. You're better off with the "new generation" of test prep (DTC, EngProGuides, Slay, etc.).

I highly recommend the DTC course but you're going to have to supplement it with other sources. Read my recent post, it's long but I hope it saves you the headache of having to take the exam more than once like I did.

Good luck to you !
Awesome post & great information!

Awesome post & great information!
You're welcome man... if you have questions once you start studying feel free to reach out to me. I'm glad to help another fellow engineer pass this exam the FIRST time...I'd recommend you start hitting the books in early July.

Well, how is everybody's studying coming along?  I'm still plugging away with Dr Tom's review.  I feel like i'm getting familiar with the MERM, so that makes me feel a bit better.  I can tell that i'm going to need to go back over the early weeks again to keep things fresh.

Well, how is everybody's studying coming along?  I'm still plugging away with Dr Tom's review.  I feel like i'm getting familiar with the MERM, so that makes me feel a bit better.  I can tell that i'm going to need to go back over the early weeks again to keep things fresh.
At the end of the course there is a refresher quizz for the earlier weeks...I recommend that in addition to that, you keep doing problems from the earlier chapters to keep things fresh as you said... good luck studying !

Alright, about to start week 18 of 20.  Some vibration stuff from here on out and then it's time to start cranking them out from start to finish to keep the edge sharp.  I think that while i'm doing refresher problems from beginning to end, I'm going to go to that section in the MERM and tab the useful charts, graphs, etc.  The appendix is jam packed full of info, so i'm going to focus tabbing that as well.

How is everybody doing with their review/studying?  

I am taking the MDM exam on Oct 2018. Starting preparation with MERM and NCEES practice exam. I have few questiosn: 

How difficult the real exam, compare to the NCEES practice exam? I took the practice exam and I feel very comfortable. I am able to solve most of the problems. I am wondering if the real one will be the same level. 

I have specific question about Question 123. In the solution to the 123 problems, the secondary shear stress is shows as anti-clock direction. I hope it is it other way. I beleive the answer should be (A) the 1 bolt. Anyone who worked out that problem can help me?

I think that the NCEES practice exam is representative of the actual exam, see the link and excerpt below.  According to the NCEES the practice exams contain questions from past exams.  

https://ncees.org/exams/exam-preparation-materials/

NCEES practice exams help you determine what you know—and what you don’t know—before taking the exam. NCEES practice exams

• Contain questions from past exams
  • Simulate the format, style, and level of difficulty
  • Provide solutions or feedback on performance in each topic area

I am taking the MDM exam on Oct 2018. Starting preparation with MERM and NCEES practice exam. I have few questiosn: 

How difficult the real exam, compare to the NCEES practice exam? I took the practice exam and I feel very comfortable. I am able to solve most of the problems. I am wondering if the real one will be the same level. 

I have specific question about Question 123. In the solution to the 123 problems, the secondary shear stress is shows as anti-clock direction. I hope it is it other way. I beleive the answer should be (A) the 1 bolt. Anyone who worked out that problem can help me?
I don't have my NCEES booklet with me at the moment, but i'll go back and see if I've already worked this one.  With just the description you outlined, it seems to be a combined loading problem.  Bending and torsional shear?

Okay, on #123:

The direct shear and torsional shear are additive (in the same downward direction) for bolt number 4.  This makes it the highest stressed bolt in the group.

Can anyone comment on the average time after the exam to find out if you passed or failed? MERM states 8-10 weeks, hoping they aren't that incredibly slow in grading a scantron.

Can anyone comment on the average time after the exam to find out if you passed or failed? MERM states 8-10 weeks, hoping they aren't that incredibly slow in grading a scantron.
Definitely not 8-10 weeks, my experience after taking the exam multiple times was that the wait was between 6-7 weeks, I am in California so please take that into consideration.

Thanks Sac & Audi.

After posting, I then went and looked at the delta in the exam results forum and it seems like 5-6 would be a safe average.

Looks like we have about 14 days and a wake-up.  I'm starting to get a little bit nervous.  My hotel is reserved, and exam authorization is in.  I'm doing some early review and then it will be getting things together and organized.  What's on everybody's "to-do" list?

My list:

Grab my GD&T book from work. And earplugs. And back-up calculator.

Print a copy of the Iron-Carbon phase diagram to add to the materials PRN.

Move my tabs from the top of my MERM to the bottom (easier to read).

Get wristwatch with hands and no beeping.

Practice doing problems faster.

Back