LSIT

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

vmi2000

Anyone have any info on a good LSIT study course. I have obtained a copy of the CALTRANS PLS/LSIT study manual and video. Anything else out there?

Take (if you havent already) a Legal Aspects of Surveying course if you can.

I took the LSIT and failed it the 1st time.

Then I took the legal aspects of surveying course and that was a tremendous help.

I also used the PPI book Land Surveyors Reference Manual to study, as well as the NCEES sample exam.

Then I lost all interest in taking the RLS after the PE, but maybe one day, at least it doesnt expire..

When are you taking it & in which State? I'm taking it this April in MI.

And best of luck to you -

I do not. . .I'm not sure why that book isn't listed w/ the "the other board" site anymore - It shows up on Amazon for $179(!). I just checked www.campusbooks.com, and it shows up there for low price of $150 all the way to $484 on high end!. That manual seems to be pretty robust (& pricey!) for the short amount of study time coming up for the April exam.

I've used the NCEES surveying probs & solutions booklet which is like $15 and seems to be representative of what will show up on the exam. The university I'm at offers a 'mock' FLS exam for seniors in their graduating semester, which i just took, and I got a 72 on am section, and 73 on pm section - so i guess i passed! (practice test anyways)

again, good luck :thumbs:

Edited: check this book out - is same author and is only $65

Surveying Solved Problems for the FS and PS Exams (LSSP3), 3rd Edition

Jan Van Sickle, PLS , 2007, 368 pp., paperback

find it at (if this board lets the address come thru): <a href="http://ppi2pass.com/"the other board"/PPIShop" target="_blank">http://ppi2pass.com/"the other board"/PPIShop</a>

if link doesn't work (probably won't) just do the www.ppi2pass.com, and navigate to the FS/PS sections - This board auto edits references / mentions of that particular board. . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much

right now I am trying to find that book.

Also, are you also looking for the 1001 solved surveying book?

If I find it for a reasonable price I'll let you know.

Yes!

I finally found the book: "Surveying Solved Problems for the FS and PS Exams (LSSP3), 3rd Edition

Jan Van Sickle, PLS , 2007, 368 pp., paperback"

Thanks man!!

please let me know if you need any more info.

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and jsut wanted to say hello. Also, I am going to be taking the LSIT Exam in April and was wonder if any one else who has taken the exam can give me some pointer (ie. what to study, what books helped, etc.). I am a PE so I am assuming that it will not be as hard as that. Thanks for the help.

^ welcome! I took FS / LSIT last April - the problems it will have will be notably more complex than the surveying problems in civil FE. Additionally, there will be some boundary principle, PLSS, priority of calls, photogrammetry, & some geodesy too. I found the NCEES FS book ($15) to be a great primer / practice for the actual test, but my degree was survey engineering too, so I had that advantage for studying. For the price of some of the review materials at PPI, you could probably pick up a used textbook too, but at least with the review materials, they plow through problems and show solutions too, so they should probably be adequate. Let me know if you need any recommended authors on the textbooks -

Feel free to post quests on stuff if needed & good luck! B)

i took it in 2000, the math part was easy compared to the PE, but there is a lot of legal stuff, I would recomend taking a legal aspects of surveying course if your not in a hurry, it was a big help to me

I am hoping to sit for the april LS exam. I was able to avoid taking the LSIT, by using the PE and EIT.

Here in RI, i don't think the board will allow you to sit for the LS with just a PE and EIT. They make you site for the LSIT first.

Here in RI, i don't think the board will allow you to sit for the LS with just a PE and EIT. They make you site for the LSIT first.
It varies by state. In California, where Desert Engineer is from, you can qualify for the PLS exam by passing either the LSIT or the EIT. PEs automatically qualify as well. In other words, if you've passed the EIT and/or PE exam, the LSIT is waived.

I am using the EIT in lieu of the LSIT, and counting the Civil PE for years of education/experience.

I wish that I could do that here in RI (have the PE/EIT count for the LSIT). I have hear that some states are pretty particular about there reguirements.

I have hear that some states are pretty particular about there reguirements.
California seems to be one of the states that makes it easier to sit for the exams, but they make you take additional exams (i.e., siesmic and surveying for Civil PE, and State specific surveying for LS). I've seen statistics in the past where the State LS exam had less that 10% pass rate.

So I am thinking of taking the LSIT (Land Suryvor in traning) test and am not sure if it will help me or not, I am alrealy a PE and do alot of private work with suryors.

Any thoughts

Is your goal to get the LS? If so, then yes it would be worth while to get the LSIT. If not, then don't bother. No additional abilities will be gained by the LSIT. Also, check your state laws, I was able to get the CA PLS without taking the LSIT (but we have a surveying component to the civil pe).

Back