Lowest score

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4william

Reaction score
Does anyone know of someone who made a low score the first time around but eventually passed the PE? I am thinking about not taking it again due to a low score. I studied hard and even took a review course. I was just very slow.

You know, that's not the correct attitude to take... If you didn't pass the first time around, you should be able to work on correcting your mistakes the second time around. If you are not able to pass the second time, so be it, you should be able to improve on the third time around. In fact, you already know what to work on, your speed. You don't give up just because you scored low on your first time.

There are people who have had to take the exam over two times, but never gave up (read other threads on this board). This board is also a great resource for studying and offers many tips on how to study for the exam. You mentioned you took a review course and studied hard. Approximately how many hours did you study?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know of someone who made a low score the first time around but eventually passed the PE? I am thinking about not taking it again due to a low score. I studied hard and even took a review course. I was just very slow.
Each test is different from the previous. Looks like you are aware of what is your problem. Now, you can do one of two things:

1) Since you took the fall you can comfortably stay on the ground, cry and complaint that you are too slow, the test is too hard and did not pass even when you studied hard. Since you are on that mood you might decide not to take the test again so you will never have to worry about it anymore.

2) Take a deep breath, GET UP, go back to the saddle and think that you are going to nail the sucker next time.

It is your choice and I am not trying to be mean. Take it from a man that had tripped and fall many times in more than one aspect of life. It is not how hard you fall, it is how high you bounce back. Anyways, it is your choice and whatever you decide be sure you are OK with it.

One more thing: Many Octobers and Aprils will come and pass no matter what you decide.

Take it again!

I don't know of anyone that failed because they were "just very slow". Most of the Civil questions can be answered with one to three simple equations - if you know what they're asking, I don't care how slow you are, you'll get them in six minutes. Probably even two minutes.

I'd guess your problem wasn't "too slow" but rather a combination of wasting time on questions you had little chance of answering right and not knowing how to approach. There are lots of suggestions here on how to overcome this, so don't discouraged. There's very little reward for passing this test on the first time - just a few hundred dollars and AT MOST a few hundred hours of studying.

In my best mexican accent (not sure why I always think of this phrase being said with a mexican accent!)... "You can dooo it!"

In my best mexican accent (not sure why I always think of this phrase being said with a mexican accent!)... "You can dooo it!"
I believe its supposed to be with a russian accent ;)

Don't let this test beat you! With enough hard work and preparation, you WILL pass.

Being slow at solving problems does not make you a bad engineer in my opinion. It probably just means that you are thinking things through carefully. In the actual practice of engineering, it is much more important to get the right answer than to get an answer fast. You can increase your speed by doing lots of practice problems. The only way to fail is to give up, so you should take the test again in October.

Hey, 4william! You CAN'T quit. It's not an option. You CAN pass. I passed on my 4th attempt. I let a lot of time pass between #3 and #4, which was a mistake.

From reading your post, I would suggest a lot of practice problems, and at least one practice exam. Familiarize yourself with all of the references.

I think one of my attempts was similar to your experience. I read and studied A LOT, but didn't work problems.

Don't get discouraged. We're here for you.

Hey, 4william! You CAN'T quit. It's not an option. You CAN pass. I passed on my 4th attempt. I let a lot of time pass between #3 and #4, which was a mistake. From reading your post, I would suggest a lot of practice problems, and at least one practice exam. Familiarize yourself with all of the references.

I think one of my attempts was similar to your experience. I read and studied A LOT, but didn't work problems.

Don't get discouraged. We're here for you.
Hey 4william DON"T QUIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am also a member of the 4-Timer's Club. I just found out three days ago that I passed. I thought of quitting a couple of times. You just have to keep trying until you get a test that is right for you. Buy additional sample exams! There are some great problem solving flowcharts that I used to prepare. The Exam Cafe gave me a lot of additional problems to work through, both word and numerical type problems.

I have test anxiety and had a huge problem with working problems in under 6 minutes. You have to keep working problems, become organized, use this forum to answer questions. After you have done those things, work some additional problems. You are not going to know every single question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My best advice is to take it again and when you start the exam, find all the problems that you know how to do first. After that, work problems that you have seen before but know that they may take a little time. Once you reach the last group of problems, you might have come across something in your references that you can use to work these. When in doubt, make an educated quess based on projects from your work experience.

That is all for now. Have to go and order new business cards! This is a great feeling and you will get to do this one day.

Owillis

P.S. I did horrible on my second exam. It was my worst showing of all 4 attempts. I got discouraged but JR and a few others helped me get through it.

Jeez, don't be a quitter. Take the dang test again. Repeat as (hopefully not) necessary.

Think of it as getting a start on the NCEES pencil collection.

I got 64 last Oct and was really frustrated but mailed my retest application the next day I received my fail letter. I passed this April. Try ppi2pass.com passing zone where you can post questions and it has a good 13 weeks schedule. It's the discipline that counts. I am not sure if they have passing zone for Oct.

4william,

I once scored 36/80.

Is that low enough for ya?

I passed it on 4th attempt BTW.

DistributionDV.jpg

4william, you have received some very encouraging words and a lot of support. You have to take the next step. I hope that you will post soon to let us know that you have registered for your exam. We're here for you.

4william - Don't dare give up. I really don't need the PE for my job, so my pursuit is more of a personal thing. I have been unsuccessful in several attempts, and it is discouraging. But you have to stick with it! Engineering is not a race, but the exam makes it so. You can be a fabulously talented engineer, and struggle with the exam due to the volume of questions in a short time. Then it becomes a test of learning to gauge your time, throw out useless question info, etc.. This will come with practice. After I pass, I will disclose how many times I have sat in that room (I do not have an engineering degree).

STAY WITH IT! :p10940623:

After I pass, I will disclose how many times I have sat in that room (I do not have an engineering degree).
HEY!!! I don't have a degree, either. I never went back to finish my last year. (Stupid mistake, but it seemed okay at the time.) Once I got into engineering, the consultant I was working for encouraged me to take the exams to get my PE license. I passed EIT on 2nd attempt, PE on 4th attempt. And, I'm sure PEPG will agree that when you put PE behind your name, it doesn't matter how many times you took the exam.

EIT+EIT+PE+PE+PE+PE = EIT+PE

Back